Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Embedding photos in record

jamesallyn

I'm a new member and this is my first posting. This looks like a terrific way to get help. So, here's my problem... Each record in my FMP 5.5 file includes a member ID number. I also have a folder with jpg photos and each photo is titled with the member ID number. When I import new records, how can I have the photo automatically placed into each record? I have a container field in the record and I can manually place each photo into that container field, but when I have over 1,000 new records, placing them by hand takes too much time. Thanks for your help... I appreciate it.

I should mention that I have an upgrade to FMP 7 that I could use if I need a higher version of FMP to fix this issue.

if you wish to remain in Filemaker Pro 5.5....

Create a NEW File, Photos.fp5, which will be for temporary use only. Create these fields: Photo (container field), IDNumber (number field), FileName (text).

File menu --> Import Records --> from folder, import from your Photos folder, the pix go into Photo field the file names go into FileName. Don't "store only as a reference" unless you want the final photos in the real file to only store a reference.

After import, click into IDNumber field and do a Replace Field Contents, calculated value, Left (FileName, Position (FileName, ".", 1, PatternCount (FileName, "."))-1)

Result should be IDNumbers that look right.

Now make a relationship from Photos.fp5 to your original file based on IDNumber = IDNumber

If you do not already have a container field in your original file for the member pictures, create one now.

Now make a script:

Loop

Set Field [OriginalFile::MemberPicture, Photo]

Go to Record [Next, Exit After Last]

End Loop

and run it.

When done, you can discard Photos.fp5, you're done with it.

I see from your other thread (which I just closed) that you decided to switch to FileMaker 7. You didn't update your question HERE to reflect that so I typed out instrux for how to do it in FileMake 5.5; this is why we don't like it when people make the same post in different places!

Well, the method described above will work equally well in FileMaker 7.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.