Sign in to follow this  
LaRetta

The Field Factory - for 7

LaRetta

Well, many of you frequent other forums as well but some don't. And I thought you might be interested in something I am really excited about. Picture this ...

- Field labels changing simultaneously throughout a solution when Management decides they don't like a name (without having to rename your field in Definitions) and without having to change every label on every layout.

- Placing the field label within the field to eliminate clutter. And those field names could dynamically switch to User-assistance comments based relationships or other data changes.

- Each field's background changing independently, based upon conditions anywhere in your solution.

Now picture only one text calculation and only one container calculation to make it all work together. Change the field line in the calc and the field changes everywhere.

Establish this process on your fields (even if you currently don't use it), to make your life easier when you need it, and to please Management because they will get the functionality of dynamic field colors and labels.

I plan to add Browse mode abilities using globals and the Evaluate() function so Management can handle this themselves. They can say, "If Category = "Salesman", have Commission field background be yellow." The Field Factory - for 7

As with human beings, we/it is a work-in-progress. I welcome input and ideas. Thanks Queue for teaching me about repetitions. smile.gif

LaRetta

Travis

LaRetta

I have been trying to figure this out for a while and looks similar to your post. Is it possible to remove or change the color of a field board when clicked into the field ? And, no the layout setup uncheck show field frames when active does not work.

Travis

LaRetta
Travis wrote ... Is it possible to remove or change the color of a field board when clicked into the field ?
The standard theorem ...

If you can ensure a User always clicks into the field (as opposed to tabbing to it) then yes, because the field itself can be your button script. The script could set a global container behind the field with a swatch of color or set a global with '1' which triggers an unstored calc container. However, the effects would not show until the record was commited (User leaves the field). You could add a Commit Record/Request to the end of your script but it's a Catch-22 because you can't trigger script upon field exit and you can't Commit a record until a User is done with it. :rolleyes: Or you can use an event trigger.

There is an easier solution however. But you'll have to download the demo. I won't tell you what it is! :eek: God this is a kick in the pants! wink.gif

FM has one habit which bugged me in prior versions but I adore it in 7 and I've used this to my favor. The field background changes instantly when the user enters the field - and unhighlights when the User exits the field and the next field highlights - no matter whether tabbing or clicking!! You can pull it off in prior versions but it took scripting or calcs on each field.

And it requires no calculations, no containers, no Custom Functions, no scripts and no plugins. It provides 16.7 million color options without pasting a single swatch! It works just as well in Find Mode, is multi-user friendly (smile) and it is so simple to do that it's funny really. smile.gif

Instant background highlight upon field entry

Click into the text field and then text2. There are three simple things that make it work. It is not always the best solution but it comes in quite handy frequently.

Oh God, we need to have fun sometimes!!! Yep! I'm feeling frisky and this is 'my' kinda solution (simple and lean) for sure!!! laugh.gif

LaRetta

LaRetta

BTW, anyone wanting to pay me for this solution, just send cash... cool.gif Actually, it's kind of an old trick, but FM7 makes it pretty valuable because it requires nothing.

And I seem to have misplaced my manners! Welcome to Cafe', Travis!!

LaRetta laugh.gif

Travis

LaRetta

Thanks for the sight ! I was playing around last night and figured it out. I just a self relationship portal with every what color boarder you want.

Bush

Dangit, LaRetta, I just CANNOT figure out how you got those alternating backgrounds to work in InstantBackground.

ARRRGG!

Man,I HATE feelin' dum.

andygaunt

Ted -

Go into layout mode and open the status bar.

Now, click on the Body part tab. Notice the color change on the fill color to red from what you think is the background white.

Now, click on a blank area of the body area and notice you have handles on a white rectangle.

Clever huh!

HTH

copies

Andy, this is a great solution for a project I'm working on. Only problem is, I have several fields on the layout. When I select a field to enter data, all the data fields change color. Is there a preference or something I need to change?

PiedPiper

In layout mode, select Layouts > Layout Setup. Unclick 'Show Field Frames...'

copies

Thanks, Pied Piper! That does the trick.......Now I can go to work!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of Use