Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Relationship Question

chewydoo

Hello

I apologize if this is a redundant question but I have been racking my brain for about a week on this one so I thank you in advance for your consideration on my question.

I have 2 tables Customer and Intake.

These two tables are related by the connecting field customerID which is an auto enter serial number on the Customer table and a number field on the Intake table.

When I change a customer name on the Intake layout the customerID doesn't up update to reflect the change in customer name.

The Customer Name field on intake is a value list based on the values of customer name in the Customer table

Thank you

Richard Davies

If the two tables are related, there is little need for a name field in the Intake table. Unless, you need to keep the name exactly as it was when the record was created. But that doesn't seem to be necessary here.

On the layout that shows records from your Intake table, change the field displaying your Intake::CustomerName field to show Customer::CustomerName instead ( substitute your own field names ). Then the record will display the data that is stored in your customer table. You could also use a merge field if you don't want users to be able to change it from the Intake table ( or just disable the 'allow entry' in browse mode option on the field ).

Not following you here.

These two tables are related by the connecting field customerID which is an auto enter serial number on the Customer table and a number field on the Intake table.

That much makes sense.

When I change a customer name on the Intake layout the customerID doesn't up update to reflect the change in customer name.

a) The field Customer Name is either Customer::Customer Name or else it is Intake::Customer Name. Which? If it is Intake::Customer Name, presumably it is a lookup field or auto-enter calculation field. Either way, changing the value of Intake::Customer Name would not affect the value in Customer::Customer Name.

b) Not that it's clear that that's what you're talking about. What do you mean when you say the CustomerID doesn't update?!?? Is this Customer::CustomerID or Intake::CustomerID? And why would either one of them change just because you changed either Customer::Customer Name or Intake::Customer Name? It's an auto enter serial number in Customers and a number field in Intake. Am I correct in assuming you did not really mean either of these CustomerID fields and meant the Customer NAME field instead?

c) You mention a value list. Is it relevant here? Is the failure of a value list to reflect changes made to Customer Name the real issue here? If you are on the Intake layout and change Customer::Customer Name, value list won't update until you commit record, but why would you need to reselect it? CustomerID would be the same on both ends of the relationship, unchanged by modifying Customer::Customer Name...

All in all, I'm not a great mindreader (few of us here are) and crystal ball is foggy; please clarify for us?

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.