Jackr

Importing a PDF form

Jackr

I have a form in PDF format, I want to import the layout, text that is printed on the form into filemaker, trhen use the form to populate certain fields from another table, so when I print the form I retain the look of the form (as it is a goverment form) I have to fill out at least 400-500 of these forms each month, so I want to inport the data for the fields that I need to populate, then just be able to just run the report.

I dont know if this makes any sense, I am trying to avoid to have to re-create the form within filemaker.

Any thoughts would help, thanks

Techphan

You cannot import a PDF form onto a layout as an overlay (at least I am not aware of such an option). You will either have to convert the PDF to a JPG file (I use PaperPort) or scan a very clean copy of the form as a JPG (best option).

Also, I am not clear as whether you want to have the form a part of the FileMaker layout, drop in fields in the correct areas, and print, **OR** print on pre-printed government forms. I actually do some of both as part of billing for a surgery center. I have created a HCFA 1500 form that can be printed on plain paper, while other billing agencies (California Medi-Cal -- California's version of Medicaid) only accept printing on their approved pre-printed forms.

If you plan to create the form as part of the layout and print on plain paper make sure that it will be accepted by the government office, since it is a time consuming job to create the form and then find that it is not accepted.

Jackr

Thank you that takes answers my question

richbrobee

PDF documents can be imported as in image into FileMaker (later versions). Image conversion is no longer required. Once you have imported the image to your layout, you can use it as the background. You will probably want to size it to fit on a single printed page and lock it in place. Then you can place Filemaker fields on top of the PDF form image. Works like a charm; I've been doing it for years.

killamilo

Then you can place Filemaker fields on top of the PDF form image. Works like a charm; I've been doing it for years.

Can you point me to a guide or service to help me set this up??

Techphan

Just a heads up - -  you are replying to a thread that is 6-1/2 years old.

With later versions of FMP the PDF is treated just like an image.  Here are the steps I go through to use a PDF on a FMP layout:

1) Scan the document/image you want, save as a PDF

2) I almost always edit the PDF (with Adobe Acrobat, there are other cheaper programs that do the same thing) to remove the "white spaces" in order to move the PDF around on the layout for optimum placement for printing.  Also, on this layout I set all the "print margins" to 0 pixels, then move the PDF around after test prints to get the best and most accurate reproduction of the PDF form so that the printed layout form is as close to the original form as I can make it.  Then I lock the PDF (select the object or objects, the "Arrange ---> Lock" from the upper menu.

3) Place the FMP fields on the form. Once complete, you can leave the PDF where it is and print on plain paper, or remove the PDF (lock all the fields first, then unlock and delete the PDF) and print on pre-printed forms. You may have to fine tune the field placement on pre-printed forms after removing the PDF.

I hope this answers your question.