Jump to content
Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Missing Field Values


kvandervorst
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am new to overseeing our Filemaker Database. We have used Filemaker for more than 10 years. We use this as a school inventory list and have each item listed with a unit cost. This then is calculated for a total cost. When we recently went into the database and found that each record's "unit cost" has disappeared, hence making the total cost disappear. I have tried editing the field and trying to restore a backup file, but the backup file also has the unit cost field values gone. The actual column is there but it appears that all the values have been deleted. Now I do not know how this could be as you cannot simply highlight the column and "delete" the values. Does anyone know what could have happened and if this information can be recovered? I appreciate any help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First guess is that the unit cost data is in a related file, and that file has gone missing or gotten corrupted. Go to layout mode, and look at the unit cost field. If the field is indeed from a related file, you will see a "::" in the middle of the field name. The part of the field name before the colons is the name of the related file, which you can search for in your backups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply. I am not seeing a :: in the unit cost. Also I am not seeing any other files that this unit cost could be related to. I have attached two screen shots of the browse view and the layout view. If you see anything that could help me I would so much appreciate it. Thanks!

browse.png

layout.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a) Is Unit Cost a number field or a calculation field? If it is a calculation field, what is the formula?

 

b) Print out all the scripts in this file to PDF so you can search within them. Look for every occurrence of Unit Cost. Find any script that does a Replace All, does a Set Field, does an Insert Calculated Result, and so forth and for each of them look at possible ways it could have misfired.

 

c) Do you have backups extending backwards week after week, etc? How long ago did you still have Unit Cost values? It seems like the db would have had to have had Unit Cost values until recently because otherwise you could not have generated any Total Cost values; your invoices would have been blank! etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This would have had to happen within the last two months as we have always had unit cost and total cost displayed. I have not found anything in the scripts as there is only two that deal with unit cost and it is dealing with if the unit cost is >= 5000 or

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use