Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Custom Find

Bearson

Was hoping to get a little clarification or see what I am doing wrong in my script but if anyone can help by pointing out what I am doing wrong it would help me greatly. Here is a sample of the custom find script I have already created...

Enter Browse Mode[]

Go to Layout ["Biksum"(Biksum)]

Enter Find Mode[]

Insert Current Date[select;Biksum::Timestamp]

Set Variable[$getTimestamp;Value:Biksum::Employee #]

Perform Find[]

Show Custom Dialog["Confirmation";$getTimestamp]

What I am trying to do is use a find to copy the data fields from the find results and put those into individual variables. Right now this is only setup for one variable but when I attempt to copy the results fields into other variables it does not work. Any ideas how I can get this script to work. My goal is to push those variables into another database called "Production Table". The fields in this table are as follows:

Biksum Table

Timestamp Employee # Lines Pulls Checks

11/08/2011 1411 50 6 12

Hi all, I am building a database in FileMaker 8.5 to help build reports and this is my first Database project. I have two tables, one that is the main table used to store static information but occassionally I need to update a few fields with some imported data. The imported data is brought into my second table using a custom import script. I am trying to use a find request script to find the newest records and match them up to an ID number in the first table, then copy it's it's data over to the main database. Any suggestions how I can do this. The current find script I have seems to be working but does not let me target all the fields in the find.

Enter Find Mode[]

Perform Find

The moment you are in Find Mode there is no value of Biksum::Employee #. (At least not until / unless you set it to something in Find Mode). In Find Mode only global fields have values.

Do this instead:

Enter Find Mode[]

Perform Find []

Hi all, I am building a database in FileMaker 8.5 to help build reports and this is my first Database project. I have two tables, one that is the main table used to store static information but occasionally I need to update a few fields with some imported data. The imported data is brought into my second table using a custom import script. I am trying to use a find request script to find the newest records and match them up to an ID number in the first table, then copy it's it's data over to the main database. Any suggestions how I can do this. The current find script I have seems to be working but does not let me target all the fields in the find.

Due to the complexity of your request, the easiest way to answer this would be for you to upload your database to this site and those of us interested in helping could take a look and make suggestions.

Thank you both for your help I was able to get my find script to work by omitting the records then showing the omitted records. Another question I have is... Is there any way (in Find Mode) the contents of the fields over to another table? I am uploading a photo of the table I am working with and in the screen shot I want to be able to pull the "Lines" field and the "Employee #" fields data and then match those to in another table using the "Employee #" data. I know about relationships but I don't think it will not work in this table because data will be imported into it every morning with the same employee's and I used the find script to single the current dates using the timestamp field. But I still want to keep the old imported data to search later on.

kC3Vl_vzK4YGPtG8FoekPA?feat=directlink

Is there any way (in Find Mode) (sic: "to move") the contents of the fields over to another table?

Here is the simplest find script where the information "SomeData" is contained most likely in a global text field the user enter information into:

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [Table::Something; SomeData]

Set Variable [$$GlobalVariable; SomeData]

Perform Find []

Do I undersatand you correctly that you want to store the find criteria? If so, set a global variable (the one beginning with two dollar signs like this - $$GlobalVariable) and then after the find, somehow run a script that navigates to the other table, creates a new record, and stores at least the information in the $$GlobalVariable but maybe even more items.

If you were using FileMaker 10 or 11 this could be done with a script trigger.

EDIT:

Is there any way (in Find Mode) (sic: "to move") the contents of the fields over to another table?

Or did you want to save the found records to another table (instead of the find request)?

Actually I want to do both. I want to do the find and from the results I want to copy it into another table. The find script was to find all the current dated (timestamped) data that was imported, then to move that data into the main table. I also need do that move by matching up Employee #'s in this table with the other table. I used a reverse find to omit the new records the show the new records that worked out great, and thanks to this forum and it's members.

Actually I want to do both. I want to do the find and from the results I want to copy it into another table. The find script was to find all the current dated (timestamped) data that was imported, then to move that data into the main table. I also need do that move by matching up Employee #'s in this table with the other table. I used a reverse find to omit the new records the show the new records that worked out great, and thanks to this forum and it's members.

Why move this in two stages? Why not import directly into the main table? It almost sounds to me like you are managing two identical tables.

The table "Biksum" has data being imported into it daily. The main table "Production Table" has all the Employee information that I want to calculate production and create reports with. I can't setup a relationship with the two because the "Biksum" table has the many records of the same employees but are timestamped. I also want to be able to access the older records in my reports later on. I also have four other tables that will be setup similar to the "Biksum" table. There also having data imported into them daily so I will need to move that data into the main table also. Maybe this is to convoluted of a setup but I need everything to be automated.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.