Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

How to clear FMP printer settings or is it necessary?

JeffDuck

I have a shrink-wrap FMP 11 solution that I'm getting close to deploying but I am having problems with crashing during printing. The solution is currently in beta using runtimes but will be deployed using FMP. It may be used as single-user, peer-to-peer or client-server. I don't have control over printer types, names or connectivity.

I've addressed issues with print spooling and right-side hanging elements on layouts.

The issue is that I have periodic but ongoing crashes while printing. FMP simply locks up while the printing dialog box is open (the one from the print spooler). I have to store print settings but since I'm developing on one platform and with one printer.

Can anyone explain how print settings are stored and how those settings interact with the individual machines once the application is opened on that different machine?

Much thanks!

It seems to me that FileMaker uses the Mac/Windows default printer but gives you the option to choose an alternate printer. There are one or more plug-ins that allows for better printer management, like this one.

In my experience, if you uncheck the Perform without dialog and Specify print options checkboxes in the Print script step dialog box, FileMaker will show the OS's standard Print dialog, even in a runtime.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... I guess I lost track of this thread and didn't get back to it.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I'm going to get anywhere definitive on this. I've used a couple of printing plug-ins - and have on-and-off for years - but they don't have an effect. I've now tried different computers, different OS', different plug-ins, different paper sources, different FM files and anything else I can think of. The problem seems erratic but consistent.

Important Information

Terms of Use