Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Table based Dropdown list

mjhnson24

I have attached a file with a sample of what im trying to do. Im trying to set up a table that holds all my dropdown list values instead of using filemakers internal dropdown list. But as you can tell from the file, if i do a find then i dont get the value list to show in find mode only in browse mode. How do i get it to work in all views or mainly browse and find?

a) Define text field in ListMenus, VLName. Fill it in with values like "Membership" or "Relationship" depending on whether the ListValue belongs to the "Member status" or to the "Relationship" value list, etc

b) Define calcfields like so, in ListMenus:

Case (VLName = "Relationship"; ListValue)

and

Case (VLName = "Member status"; ListValue)

and so on

c) Define your value lists to show ALL VALUES of the appropriate calcfields instead of related values only of the ListValue field.

d) You no longer need _VL_MembershipStatus or _VL_Relationship fields in Contacts, or the relationships that they anchor.

e) The value lists work from any context and in any mode.

a) Define text field in ListMenus, VLName. Fill it in with values like "Membership" or "Relationship" depending on whether the ListValue belongs to the "Member status" or to the "Relationship" value list, etc

and

and so on

c) Define your value lists to show ALL VALUES of the appropriate calcfields instead of related values only of the ListValue field.

d) You no longer need _VL_MembershipStatus or _VL_Relationship fields in Contacts, or the relationships that they anchor.

Hi AHunter, are you able to show me an example of what you mean in my file i posted?

Here is a sample of just the value list functionality. I didn't use your file, because for other members, I want them to be able to see just what it takes to insert this functionality into their own solutions without having to interpret the fields names you are using (not that there is anything wrong with it, just want to keep it ultra-simple).

ValueListTable.fp7

Ok Cool. Thanks. Now all i have to do is take it from there and see if i can modify it so if dropdown list 1 has the main values and dropdown list 2 changes values based on whats in dropdown list 1.

and

and so on

Alright, how come I didn't know about this trick?? Have you guys been holding out on me?

:pirate:

Alright, how come I didn't know about this trick?? Have you guys been holding out on me?

:pirate:

lol...that was Alan. It was an ah-ha moment for me too. Very, very cool. I rarely use Value Lists, just because of the limitations, but that is a handy little tip.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.