The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Therese

Global field - saving to a Host

Question

Therese

Good Morning

I have inherited a database previously developed in ver 6 and upgraded to ver 11. It is now being hosted on an external FM server to be accessed country wide including myself to continue to develop it as the client has the need.

I am new to Server Hosting and the issues that arise, hence my query.

I have a Global field where I have populated data from my remote access. When the files are closed & reopened the data is not saved. I understand that only global changes can be made only on the Host. Is this correct and if so - is there a way around it. The Hosted files are not easily accessible and would require the Host Company to make the changes at their leisure - not ideal!

Your input as usual is invaluable.

Therese

5 answers to this question

Maarten Witberg

Global fields when used on a hosted database are client- and session specific as you understood correctly. If you need the global to retain constants (for instance, VAT percentage) then a quick fix is to take the database offline, enter the constants into the global fields and then put it back online.

A more robust approach would be to create a utility table for constant values. This would be a 1-record table with normal fields that you can relate to any table using the X join, so the values are available anywhere. Alternatively, read the values from the utility table into global fields at startup using a script.

Therese

As I expected... :-(

Your solution to overcome it

a quick fix is to take the database offline, enter the constants into the global fields and then put it back online. .

is not possible as I cant get that typed of access... so

A more robust approach would be to create a utility table for constant values. This would be a 1-record table with normal fields that you can relate to any table using the X join, so the values are available anywhere. Alternatively, read the values from the utility table into global fields at startup using a script.

is a workable solution. Thanks for your help!

Maarten Witberg

You should at least have a copy of the database to develop on, doing major structural work on a live database is very bad practice. A user might be online, you're working on a script, the behaviour of the script changes..... kaboom. Or you make an error.... kaboom..... and so on. Get a dev copy of the file. create a script to import "live" data from at rollout. It's the only way.

Weetbicks

Global fields in a hosted database can be set with values by creating a scheduled script on the FileMaker server. Basically, write a script in the database that sets the globals. Then on FileMaker server admin console, go to the schedules tab and add a new schedule which is running a filemaker script. Tell it to run the script you created that sets the globals, then just run it. Server is able to set the globals so that they persist across sessions - basically exactly the same result as if you were to take it offline & set them manually, but obviously you don't have to take it offline.

Maarten Witberg

Hey that's nice (I really need to study server side scripting :P)

but...

- work out a way to differentiate between globals used for constants and globals used for session specific purposes.

- don't forget to run it at server startup

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.