tomfuller

doing taxes, adding numbers

tomfuller

I'm on a MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.7. I have been using Appleworks 6 for years adding up tax deductions, etc. I'd enter amounts in DB, then convert the DB to a SS. Just found out Appleworks no longer works on my machine. I have used Filemaker Pro 7 for record keeping but never calculations. On FMP7, can I add up a long string of numbers, as on a SS? If so, how do I define a cell as the one stating the sum total of a list of expenditures?

Thanks...

Tom in Texas

kirkrr

Think of a record as a row of the spreadsheet.

Create fields (Columns) for the item and amount

There are a bunch of ways to get the summation.

A summary field, in a sub-summary report (which would also allow you to break things down based on category of entry).

A SUM command, from a related table.

Try one of these, and if you are stuck, update your post....

mikey123

Tom, I've had to migrate several files from Appleworks too (although my Appleworks 6 still runs on 10.6.7).

You've probably already thought of this but before it's too late be sure to save all your important Appleworks files as ASCII Text or tab delimited using a Mac that is running an older system. (Tiger and Leopard work fine). This will allow you to import the data into Filemaker.

You won't regret it - nor will you regret moving everything to Filemaker - there's no comparison.