mariapf

Check Boxes

mariapf

I am creating a form with lots of check boxes (yes / no or a tick). How do I easily create these.

Thanks

AHunter3

You need a field for each value.

Did you bring a toothbrush? [ ] Yes [ ] No ==> HasToothbrush

Will you require assistance getting to your room? [ ] Yes [ ] No ==> NeedsAssistance

Then you need a value list. YesNo defined as custom value list with one value, a hard return, the next value, and so on:

Yes

No

A value list can contain just a single value like so:

Yes

Now put HasToothbrush (a text field) and NeedsAssistance (another text field) on your layout and right-click them and format them as a Checkbox value list; pick YesNo as the value list to use and you're done.

mikey123

If the value list has more than 1 value and if only one value is expected, then wouldn't it be better to use a radio button set instead of a check box?

A field presented as a check box and referring to a value list containing both Yes AND No could potentially contain both Yes and No, whereas a radio button set would typically only reflect Yes OR No.

If it's really a check box that's wanted in this case then it should probably refer to a value list which only has one value such as "Yes". Checked means "Yes". Unchecked means not Yes.

AHunter3
If the value list has more than 1 value and if only one value is expected, then wouldn't it be better to use a radio button set instead of a check box?

Yes.

A field presented as a check box and referring to a value list containing both Yes AND No could potentially contain both Yes and No, whereas a radio button set would typically only reflect Yes OR No.

That is correct and yes I would go with radio button for that.

If it's really a check box that's wanted in this case then it should probably refer to a value list which only has one value such as "Yes". Checked means "Yes". Unchecked means not Yes.

Techphan

You can force a checkbox defined field to behave like a radio button field set by using a text field with a calculated value: GetValue (Self ; ValueCount (Self)). Uncheck the box"do not replace..."

I think it was Allan Hunter ** or perhaps one of the other pros** that originally posted this technique, which I use to keep all the entry fields looking the same (ie - checkbox entry fields) on a layout.

kirkrr

You can create a set of check boxes from a value list. This is a really quick method.

However, it has a downside. Multiple checks are all in one field, and it takes some code to extract individual checks.

SO, given that constrain, the one-field-per-checkbox solution AHunter suggested, is a great way to go.

Human interface guidelines strongly suggest:

Checkboxes for potential multiple select

Radio buttons for mutually exclusive selections

What TechPhan refers to is also applicable to radio buttons. Filemaker - at least up through FM9 - had a potential deficiency with radio buttons - a user, holding down the shift key, can perform a multiple select of what is supposed to be a mutually exclusive selection process of a radio button.

Six Fried Rice created an elegant work around, which TechPhan referred to in the above post (which is FM9 or later).

http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/limiting-checkbox-and-radio-button-choices/

This blog entry also describes how to limit a set of say, 7 check boxes, to the last 3 selected.

mikey123
Filemaker - at least up through FM9 - had a potential deficiency with radio buttons - a user, holding down the shift key, can perform a multiple select of what is supposed to be a mutually exclusive selection process of a radio button.

Abherently, it remains the case in FM11.

AHunter3

You can also copy this string of text:

an impossible horde of exultant and crazy kitty cats

and click on a radio-button formatted field and paste and guess what your field's value becomes?

kirkrr

Yeow!! I did not know that. The auto-enter calc, replacing field contents, for radio buttons and check boxes has just taken on a new, and more important priority.

(on that note: Is it better to use an auto-enter calc, or a field validation calculation, to control abhorrent user entry behavior?)

Not that I ever get the chance to deal with that. At least in IWP, where radio buttons and check boxes are flakey at best, I always set the boxes from a script attached to a field label, or other object, so there is direct control of the potential content.

KTMammel

I am trying to make a database using check boxes and radio buttons for my undergraduate thesis.

I had no trouble making several of these in a couple of my tabs. However, in my recent fields I have begun having a problem where when I set the field to checkbox set or radio format, the values show up in a list (like they should), but no check box or radio button appears next to them. When I switch to browse mode to try to create a record and select a value or values in these boxes, it's impossible because there are no boxes or radio buttons to check or select. And holding down control and clicking on the fields doesn't work either!

I'd be thrilled for any insight another user could offer. I'm in a bit of a time crunch and need to find this out soon!

Many thanks,

KTMammel

kirkrr

Sounds like a line color issue - probably set to the same color as the background. You can't see the radio button or checkbox, and checking the box does not show either.

Jack Rodgers

I took a little walk during which I remember the solution:

Use one record for each question using your formatted field for the answer. Simplifies everything.

Typical tables:

Questionaire

Questionaire Questions

Respondent

Respondent Answers

Typical Links:

RespondentAnswersQuestionsQuestionaire

With a little effort this will accomodate any number of questionaires per respondent and the questions can be listed in list view or portal view.

This is better than using one record to hold 100 questions and far easier to maintain and to pull out reports.

I'm thinking the best approach would be to create one record per question for each responder.

Question:

Questionaire ID

Question ID

The Question

The Answer:

Question ID

Answer ID

Responder ID

The Answer

(The question could be included as a field)

go to responder form

set var responder id to responder ID

Go to Questionaire form

set var questionaire id to questionaire id

go to question list

perform find question aire id = var questionaire id

sort list

go to record 1

loop

set var question id question id

go to form responder

new record

...set appropriate fields

commit record

go to rec next exit last

end loop

etc.

Now each responder has his own set of questions to answer which are linkable to everything else

You can display the questions in a list suitable for html purposes or in a portal.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.