The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FredP

Sliding for printing and portals !

FredP

I am trying to create a form for pdf output that includes a portal. I was hoping to use sliding in the portal to resize the portal to the smallest size based on the number of records in the portal. But when I turn sliding on, it resizes the portal down to 1 line no matter how many records are in the portal.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Weetbicks

Any reason why there needs to be a portal? Normally when a report is being produced with a portal, something is wrong. Can you base the form on the table the portal is based on, so you can just use regular sliding, and records shown in the body part ? Another alternative to using a portal is to create a calculation that lists values via the relationship and display that calculation field, as the calc field will slide nicely.

Jack Rodgers

You have to make the portal long enough to hold all of the records which means it may be 10, 20 inches high. Then apply shrink to fit. Use Preview Mode to see how it fits.

But the more advanced idea is to produce the pdf report from the child file as a list and expand the header to contain the fields from the parent file.

Header

/

/

/

/

/

/

End Header

list records

Maarten Witberg

one for the faq list ;-)

Techphan
I am trying to create a form for pdf output that includes a portal. I was hoping to use sliding in the portal to resize the portal to the smallest size based on the number of records in the portal. But when I turn sliding on, it resizes the portal down to 1 line no matter how many records are in the portal.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

I use a portal in the body of a layout to print various medical billing forms. The portal is set to the number of lines on the respective billing form, usually ranging from 10-15 lines. But it only prints the number of data lines that appear in the portal. Occasionally only one portal item prints and there are 9-14 blank lines. Edit: Turn off the borders and any shading in the portal.

If the above doesn't work out for you, and you really want to have the exact number of portal items, then create multiple print layouts. Layout 1 has one portal row, Layout 2 has 2, and so on. Simply count the number of data rows that will appear and go to the layout by calculation.

stige

That's a very clever idea, Jack. I may try to use this but first I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to get the body of a layout to slide up?

I have a portal as the last object on a print layout. The # of related child records may be anywhere from 0-20. As such the portal is about 2 'pages' long (the layout is for print/export only) to accommodate the larger sets of child records.

Since the Body of the layout is so large to accommodate the extra long portal when I print/export a record that only has a few related records I end up with 2 blank pages at the end of the record.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to manage this, aside from the list layout idea? Am I just out of luck?

You have to make the portal long enough to hold all of the records which means it may be 10, 20 inches high. Then apply shrink to fit. Use Preview Mode to see how it fits.

But the more advanced idea is to produce the pdf report from the child file as a list and expand the header to contain the fields from the parent file.

Header

/

/

/

/

/

/

End Header

list records

Josh Ormond

There is an option in the Sliding options that is for resizing the "enclosing part".

stige

Thanks Josh. I'm familiar with that option and it's use.

I'm trying to figure out how to apply that effect to the Body part of a layout. When I select the body tag I so that I may change fill color etc the options for sliding in the inspector are grayed out.

There is an option in the Sliding options that is for resizing the "enclosing part".

Josh Ormond

It is an object setting, not a part setting. Set the portal to slide up, and check the box to resize the enclosing part. Then, when the portal shrinks, it will shrink the body with it (assuming there are no other objects that would prevent it).

Place your objects so that the portal is the bottom-most object. Make sure no other object are down far enough on the layout to stop the layout from sliding.

stige

I did try that before posting here. It was unsuccessful.

I've just gone and created a duplicate layout and stripped out all the extraneous stuff and am trying different object sizes and part sizes and checking their behavior in preview. I'll get this sorted sooner or later if it will work as you say.

Thanks again for your attention and my apologies because I feel like I'm making this more difficult than necessary.

Josh Ormond

For the report, how many tables are involved? If it is just the parent and child records, build the report based on the child table and use the parent fields as subsummaries (or break fields).

Portals really are not best suited for reports. They can be used, but often it's better to do the report from the context of the child records.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of Use