LingoJango

slowness - from tiny graphics or calcs

LingoJango

Hello,

I have a rather complex schedule-viewing layout involving 31 3-row portals for each person whose schedule I want to view. Each portal displays a text field and a container calculation field to reflect the status of the appointment being viewed. The containers hold a 1 kb PNG file, inserted directly, of course (not as a reference).

The online layout takes a while to display and scroll through (thank goodness there are only 21 people - ourselves - we're keeping track of regularly!). However, saving the equivalent print layout as a PDF takes ages, and the file seems huge for what it is - 370 kb; this makes things even worse when appending subsequent months, of course. FileMaker 9 Advanced doesn't seem to have the option to compress graphics (each graphic is just a plain color rectangle, so I don't need high quality at all).

Is there any way to compress the graphics or make them display faster? I've thought of using conditional formatting but if I ever need to change color codes it would be a total nightmare to test.

Coda: I'm currently thinking of creating an intermediate schedule-viewing table (Contacts would relate to Contactmonthyears, and Contactmonthyears would be the table with the 31 calculated date fields used on the left side of a relationship to Appointments). This way I could just use a single calculated field with 93 repetitions for display purposes - easier to handle than portals. Any ideas or suggestions?

PPS: I'm waiting for a quote from local FileMaker experts to put this online where we don't need this clumsy PDF approach as often as we currently do.

YMD

If it's just a color you want without conditional formatting:

1. Draw a 1 pixel X 1 pixel square on any FMP layout It can start bigger then be modified down using Object Size.

2. Set the border and fill of the square to the color you want.

3. Copy the square to your clipboard.

4. Paste it into your container where you previously stored the png.

This assumes that the calculated color field on your portals is set to stretch the contents to fill.

This worked for me back in the days before conditional formatting.

Weetbicks

Change your container fields that store the status graphics from non global to global. This means you need to set them offline, or use a server-side script to set them if the file is hosted and cannot be taken offline.

We have done extensive testing with containers here @ work to improve speeds of some of our solutions and found that containers that are non-global actually download an entire new copy of the container for every record that references it. So all of your calculations that evaluate on the layout with a container result, are downloading the same containers over and over for their display.

It's a pretty unusual thing as you would expect filemaker to download the container once and cache it on disk for later, but actually this happens only when the container is global, or if it is not being used in a calculation in a portal.

I don't know if this will improve the speed of a web-based layout, but hopefully it will help in other areas.

Another factor could be how complex the calculations are, and whether you are accessing the solution localy, over LAN or WAN.

Anyways give that a shot and see if it helps at all.

-----

In addition, we tested this because we had a similar situation to you, a portal which was showing around a couple of hundred records, within this portal was an unstored calc on the table which returned one of two containers as a result. The portal was very slow to scroll, and the reason being that everytime you scrolled, a new record is displayed, thus the calculation is evaluated and the entire container field was re-downloaded to the client machine. Switching it to global field improved scrolling speed dramatically.

LingoJango

Thanks! That's a great tip. Will try it in conjunction with native filemaker graphics as suggested by YMD, and see if that improves things.

• WE NEED YOUR DONATION NOW

WE have helped 100,000's of people for many years, now we need your help!!!! Your Donation is Needed to Keep Us Online! Covid 19 and isolation!!!! Without Your Help We Are Gone After 23  Years!

3% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Images

Important Information

Terms of Use