lexicographer

Exporting formatted text

lexicographer

I have a big FilemakerPro3 database with 10,000 words and their definitions (360,000 words) the basis of the Dictionary of Cell & Molecular Biology, and when I export to Word (which is what my publisher wants) I lose all the formatting (italics, greek letters, subscripts etc.) . So I have to go through and reformat in Word. I love doing this, but would like a better solution before I do the next (5th) edition. Has anybody solved this? Or am I being foolish? (I tried FP7 and it was no better so I didn't upgrade).

Thanks, lexicographer

lexicographer

I don't think either will help - it isn't as though the greek letters are in predictable places - usually prefix or suffix to a protein name: I'd have to go right through the FP file and mark each one 'before and after' (shades of WordPerfect!) - and th eitalics are for Genus and species names within the text.

But thanks for the quick response.

AHunter3

Can Word open HTML documents and render them? If so, try creating fields defined as GetAsCSS (YourOriginalField) and export THOSE instead of the originals. GetAsCSS preserves Filemaker text formatting, implementing it as (not really CSS they just call it that, sort of bastardized HTML code, but it works in a browser).

Maarten Witberg

If you upgrade to a recent version you can export to PDF. All formatting will be retained. Publishers should be able to handle that.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.