The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Bushido

Attendance tracking

Bushido

New problem - for me. I own a small martial arts club and need to keep track of my students attendance. We only average 30 students. I would like to have the following fields displayed on a screen (template?) and to be able to fill in or check off each day the student is there.

Students Name

Phone

Dues (current month) Will be marked Pd or Nothing in field

Dues (next month) Will be marked Pd or Nothing in field

Monday - (4 of these) Will be marked P for present, S for sick, or I for injured

Wednesday - (4 of these) Will be marked P for present, S for sick, or I for injured

Friday - (4 of these) Will be marked P for present, S for sick, or I for injured

Total Attendance for Month

I currently have a system using Filemaker but it involves 12 months of monthly templates, 12 present or not fields for each template (plus the other misc. fields), and the problem of having to delete the attendance records from each month in order to use it for the next year. Then I don't have a record of last years (or any years attendance if I lose the printout. This may be too complicated for me to understand with general terms so if anyone's willing to help please be patient. I can e-mail a copy of my work so far so it is easier to see what it is I want. Thanks to everyone for a great forum.

AHunter3

a) discard your template; start over

b) one table Students in which each student appears once and only once; with a serial number field as well as student info.

c) another table, of Sessions, in which each session (a date on which attendence can occur) appears once and only once; with a serial number field in this table also

d) a join table of Attendance, in which each record is the record of ONE student attending ONE session, and anything they did in that session that you wish to record. This table would have a foreign key field connecting it to the session, and a different foreign key field connecting it to the student.

e) a portal from Sessions would show, for any given session, who was in attendance. a similarl portal from Students would show, for any given student, which sessions they attended.

f) You never have to delete any data, you can keep data going back 900 years.

Bushido

Ahunter3,

Thanks for the quick response. If I understood it I would be doing cartwheels! Is there any chance you could write a small example file? I could study and expand it much quicker than trying to write back and forth. If not I understand and thanks anyway. I'll start with reading it a couple dozen more times, maybe it will enlighten me!

You can e-mail me direct if you like at:

EDITED: Email Removed

Thanks again.

AHunter3

Sure, why not...

EDIT: OK try this one instead. Closer in appearance to your mockup, and will let you do attendance on a monthly basis. Note the "SETUP" button to auto-insert dates for the selected month.

Jack Rodgers
f) You never have to delete any data, you can keep data going back 900 years.

Any idea on how to import data from clay tablets?

AHunter3

Would these be your typical scratch-delimited claytablet data sets, or fixed-wedge cuneiform?

peterinth

Thanks for posting this reply. I am new to FM9 and want to setup an attendance and grades system. I have this using Excel, but I would like to use FM.

I've been searching everywhere for an example I can work with and adapt and learn from. I will certainly be following your advise in this thread and if you have any more newbie tips or examples I would be most grateful.

Thanks

AHunter3

Welcome to the board! We're here if & when you get stuck.

BennieGonzales

I have the same question. I'm using Filemaker12, I have 200+ people but I don't know how to do attendance. Each record has lots of details already. Can I use the records already and take weekly attendance? If so, how?

As the other guy said, your answer is perhaps for a more advanced user. Help please?

smiffy

Hi, AHunter3. I was reading an old post where you supplied a member with a sample file for attendance tracking. I also have the same problem and would appreciate an example to experiment/learn from. Many thanks.

AHunter3

I may still have the example file floating around from circa 2009, ::checks:: yes, I do have a .zip file called "Attendance Solution.zip" created 9/28/09 in "Other FileMaker Stuff" folder. That's probably it.

As a free member you can't download example files anyhow, though. If you join up as a paying member, you'd be able to.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.