The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Weetbicks

Thinking of Upgrading to Snow Leopard? READ THIS

Weetbicks

Apples new operating system - Snow Leopard (10.6) - is incompatible with a number of earlier versions of FileMaker, here is the quick run down:

FileMaker Pro 9 & Advanced YES

FileMaker Server 9 & Advanced NO - Updgrade to 10

FileMaker Pro 8.5 & Advanced NO - Upgrade to 9/10

FileMaker Server 8 thru 8.0.4 & Advanced NO - Upgrade to 10

Bento 1.0 & 2.0.1 thru 2.0.4 NO - Upgrade to ??

So there you go, basically you are going to need to upgrade if you aren't using the 10 product line yet. Bit of a shame if you ask me, but I think the reasoning is to do with the fact snow leopard has been heavily rewritten into cocoa language which is much faster and flexible. FileMaker 10 makes use of it for things such as the new status bar and so on.

cwilliams10

On another list a user said they are running FileMaker Pro 6 on Snow Leopard and that a bug that was in Leopard is now fixed. I guess we will see over time how many version really work.

Robert Schaub

Heard a small rumor 10.5 is on it's way. recall 8.5 , 5.5 came out after simular Mac Disaters.

Graham Sims

I had v9.0.3 of Filemaker 9 Pro Advanced installed on my iMac.

After installing Snow Leopard, I get the splash screen, but any further action results in the spinning beach ball. I cannot open any of my databases.

Despite what Filemaker inc says, it is not working for me.

Need an urgent solution!!!!!

cwilliams10

Hi Graham,

Sorry to hear you are having issues. I am using v9.0.3 and v10.0.3 and both are working. Have you tried removing third-party plugins? Assuming that you have any installed. If that doesn't work I would re-install FileMaker Pro.

I am sure others will have more advice.

-hth

kirkrr

9.0.3 screams on 10.6 - my MacBook Pro Core2Duo machine has never run Filemaker this fast, ever!

Weetbicks

Good to hear Kirk, the whole goal behind snow Leopard is increased speed across the board.

Graham, this might be a long shot, but I recently found that if I had FileMaker running on one user account, and I attempted to launch the same version of the app on a different user account (while the other account was logged in) I got the same issues that you are having. Other than that the only advice I could offer is perhaps try to reinstall FileMaker starting at v1 and then upgrading ?

brsamuel

Beware, FileMaker Server 10 has its share of difficulties with Snow Leopard.

From FileMaker's KnowledgeBase: Answer 7361

Also, there are known issues on the desktop side: Answer 7352

Samuel

kirkrr

At least on the FM9 desktop side, it appears to be PowerPC code for the XLS export, which requires Rosetta to run on Intel Macs.

Rosetta is NOT installed by default - you have to have accepted the option to install. As it is a 2mb total increase in space, and affords backward compatibility to a number of things, it is probably worth the installation. I can understand not installing it by default - Apple wants people to let go of the old stuff and move on, but unlike Windows, Apple always provide a compatibility option for years.

For instance, MS Office runs without Rosetta, but the Office installer requires it.

On an tangentially related issue, why does IE8 / 64 bit not work with Windows XP/64? The installer tells me it is incompatible? What does IE8/64 run on, if not Windows 64 bit? (oh, the 64 bit version of Windows 7 - nice backwards compatibility - I'll take Apple's approach any day Tounge Out! )

JoeDu

Thank you kirkrr!!!

I was plagued with a dozen minor issues (fonts being a big one) with FMP 9 after upgrading to Snow Leopard. A big one, not found elsewhere, was placed images simply disappearing!! The boxes were there, but they were blank. Replacing the graphic also showed a blank box.

Upon reading your note about Rosetta, I got info on the app and checked off "Open using Rosetta" and it worked!

There's a week of headaches gone :)

gypsum

Is anyone else having issues with fmp10 & snow leopard when using as a networked user as opposed to an administrator?

All of my machines work when logged in as admin but FM will only open twice as a user before I have to dump the preferences before it will open up again...

ppayne

Here is my experience so far. I upgraded some 8.5.8 computers to 8.6.x, and some of the Filemaker 8.5 copies got buggy. A script would run the first time, and after that no data could be entered into any window, no field selectable. We found this only worked in some cases (customer orders with shipping addresses) and closing a window that opened caused it to work again. So we're going to keep using 8.5 for the time being, think anything else will blow up?

(As an aside, what is Filemaker thinking, taking the venerable sidebar and changing to a Microsoft Office style UglyBar at the top? I can't upgrade to that??)

pacertorganic

Hello!

We are also slow in upgrading to the latest version of FMPro/Server...we are on version 6 of the client, and 5 of the server. Upgrade is slated for late this year.

For now, many of our machines are running Snow Leopard, and particularly when any Office 2011 application starts running, FM drags incredibly slowly. I've watched it in the Activity Monitor and FM appears to demand ALL available processing.

We have multiple databases/scripts to update and we are NOT in the position to upgrade at this time...has anyone else found a workaround/solution to this issue? We've tried opening the scrapbook in all office apps (a suggestion I'd found on another forum) when FM Pro is open and that helps minimally. I'd also prefer not to have to uninstall Snow Leopard to say Tiger, which is when this all seemed to still work peacefully.

Thanks much!

AHunter3

I'd run FmServer of that vintage on Panther (10.3). Dunno about your workstations. You're saying the workstations were doing OK running FmPro 6 under 10.5.x but when you installed Snow Leopard that's when they got slow & pokey?

My generic answer to speed issues with FmPro 6 on Intel Macs:

FileMaker 6 is going to be a bit of a dog on any Intel Mac; it's a PowerPC app and runs in emulation on Intel Macs. No idea what MS Office has to do with it unless it's just sheer volume of resources being hogged. Rosetta (the emulation environment needed to run PPC apps on Intel HW) is a resource hog and so is Office so maybe that's your problem.

... but if it was running OK (or at least discernably better) under 10.5, the additional problem with 10.6 could be that the OS itself needs more RAM and empty disk space for scratch files therefore the resources available for supporting those two resource hogs are more limited under Snow Leopard. Do you have a box with an unusually big hard drive and lots of RAM (8+ gigs) to see if that makes a difference? Maybe in the art/graphics department for example?

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of Use