Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

About data entry in two formats

thegreek

i want to add some entries that they are in time format but some aswell are in date format.Is this possible?

To help you i am an aircraft mechanic and i want to track maintenance intervals.Some are in time format ,lets say 500 hours and some are in years or months from the day that the last maintenance task was done.I need to make a calculation for the remaining time.I figured it out how to do it with the hour intervals but i want to add averything in the same column( i am using table view).

Thanks a lot in advance

Use a TimeStamp field. It can represent the number of seconds elapsed between two times (on same date or different dates) , or, as an actual timesamp, the number of seconds elapsed since the dawn of FileMaker-counting time which is January 1st, the year 1 AD, at 12:00 AM.

You can substract them from each other to get elapsed time. Or use Set Field to set such a field to GetAsTimeStamp ("some number of seconds").

You can apply GetAsDate () or GetAsTime() to the fields and extract just the date or just the time components.

You can format such a field to display as date, display as time, or conditionally display depending on what is in the field.

Can you explain that a bit further?My experience in filemaker is zero.I 've read that Pratt and Witney use this program and i decided to have a try, to make my maintenance tasks a bit easier and more organized :)

I have tried to enter data in a timestamp field but i can not enter date and not include time or vise versa.If its two much hassle i will make two columns.

You can use a CALCULATION field of RESULT TYPE "Timestamp" to get your duration (difference between start and end). Something like this:

TimeStamp ( Case(IsEmpty(StartDate); Get(CurrentDate); StartDate); Case(IsEmpty(StartTime); GetAstime("12:00:00 AM"); StartTime) )

do an identical one for EndDate and EndTime and then you can subtract start from end and get the resulting difference in seconds. Simple division will give you intervals in days or hours.

Important Information

Terms of Use