Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Multi Use on Multi Core?

jspurr

I have FMP 10Adv newly loaded on a Windows Server 2003 with 4 cores, 4 GB, and 1.8 GHz per core. FMP seems to be only using about 50MB with a total of 800 MB in use (nothing else really going on, except a couple of IE windows open, but not used). I access the system with Remote Desktop.

I am running a table migration script against a table of 160,000 rows and 79 fields, migrating to 7 different tables with a variety of rules and calculated conversions.

It looks like this will run about 16 hours (after 40,000 records and 8 hours, I figured out to turn on Freeze Window ... so I am expecting an improvement)

Here's the thing: The CPU is running at about 25% ... which, I assume is all the solution can muster (whether it is disk bound [doubt] or just can't use more than 1 core, I am not sure)

I thought I would try to do some script development work while this is crunching, but I cannot seem to do anything else in FMP while this is running.

Is there a way to start another instance -- or some other solution?

(Note: I would also be interested in any system tuning performance tips overall, since this solution will eventually have many more records in the tables)

You did not say how the file is hosted. If the computer running the complicated table migration script is the computer where the file itself is actually sitting, you could share the file (File menu --> Sharing --> FileMaker Network --> ON, + specify this particular file and enable sharing for all users or for your privilege set). Then you can launch FileMaker Pro from another machine or for that matter, insofar as this is Microsoft Terminal Services, on another TS instance from a different Remote Access workstation. Assuming of course that you have a multi-user license for that installed copy of FileMaker, that is.

However, you'd be well advised to NOT DO THIS. You're running a huge cumbersome script that takes 16 hours. Opening the same file as a guest pretty much octuples the chances for something bad to happen to the file that would require you to throw away this file and restore from backup and then start your 16 hour script again. Especially if there are other Terminal Server (Remote Access) clients with sessions open doing other tasks.

If you are hosting from FileMaker SERVER, and the workstation running the 16 hour script is a guest of FmServer, you are much safer opening the same database from a different workstation and doing minor edits while the script runs.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I only have 1 license right now (but I thought it was good for up to 5 users [?]), so there is no external workstation login at this time.

(note: at this time, the only planned additional user access will be through a simple and well controlled Web access that will allow very limited queries, by checkboxes and dropdowns only, to indexed fields. Only 3 or 4 people will use the web query)

My thinking was that I would have a separate copy of the database file to do script development on. (although I am not sure how to migrate a script from one db to another) ... that way I would not risk the damage that having another.

Important Information

Terms of Use