Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Resizing app window

wayne@cornerstonedesigns.

Hi

After searching forever, I'm trying to find a plug-in (at a reasonable cost) to resize the app window in windows. Resize works great in Mac and works in the Windows file page but not the app window.

Wayne

You could try this. WinControl has some neat features. It says it's for 6,7,8...but I just tried it on 10 and it works. But as it says, "Use at own risk". The link in near the bottom of the page.

You can also control other program windows with it also.

wincontrol.png

Josh O

I tried that Plug-in and could not get it to load into FileMaker. There is no longer a system folder just an extensions folder. After putting it into the extension folder both inside the kf_wincontrol folder and outside the kf_wincontrol folder it did not show up in the plug-in window. Double clicking on the WinControl.exe file did not open it up.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Josh O

I have tried installing the WinControl plug-in in both FileMaker 9 and 10 with no luck. Can you help.

Thanks

Wayne

Out of curiosity, what does not work as far as resizing the window in Windows? (how's that for a dichotomy - windows not doing windows right??) Is this one of those window-in-a-window things? Sorry, I do my dev work on a Mac, and deploy on IWP, so I don't see (but need to be aware) of the Windows issues.

I also do all of my developing on a Mac. In windows there are two windows - the file window and the app window. you can resize the file window using FileMakers resize scripts, but there are no scripts that I have found to resize the app window, so the need for a plug-in.

I am have trouble installing the plug-in WinControl. I followed the instructions by placing the two files in the FileMaker folder but the plug-ins do not show.

Any Ideals

Wayne

You can resize the Windows window window by click in the middle icon in the upper right hand corner next to the big red

X

Wayne -

You have to follow the instructions in the read-me file very carefully.

Once you have the exe file in the right place, you use the Send Event script step to make the call to resize the window. The demo file has everything setup, you just need to copy the setup to use in your own file.

Give it a whirl. If you can figure it out...I will try to help.

Out of curiosity, what does not work as far as resizing the window in Windows? (how's that for a dichotomy - windows not doing windows right??) Is this one of those window-in-a-window things? Sorry, I do my dev work on a Mac, and deploy on IWP, so I don't see (but need to be aware) of the Windows issues.

Window-in-a-window, yes. There is the file window, which you can manipulate via script, and then the application window, which you can't.

In windows, developers have the options to make theirs apps, SDI or MDI. Pretty much everything in Mac is SDI. Windows is a mixed bag. Even among it's own apps. Microsoft Word is SDI, Excel is MDI.

Here is the FileMaker window in Windows. When you run a maximize window step you get the second image.

MDI - File Window Restored (and stuck inside that parent app window.

sdic.jpg

MDI - File Window set to Maximize - Still stuck inside that parent window.

sdimax.jpg

Now the sad part is that it is primarily up to the developer to decide which format they use. Why FM stuck with MDI, I couldn't guess.

Josh

I really appreciate your help. I have been doing Filemaker since 1.0 and this is the first time that I have needed a plug-in (and in windows yet). I have put the files in the right folder but I am hitting a wall on the setup screen. Cannot find a set-up screen. The instructions state:

On the Setup screen, enter the complete filespec for WinControl.exe (drive/path/filename) into the Filespec field.

just where is the setup screen?

If you want to see what I am trying to do go to my Web Page at http://cornerstonedesigns.biz/software.html the program is CornerstoneCALC. The program has 4 different sizes.

Thanks

Wayne

Did you open the FileMaker file that came with it?

The second button down on the left takes you to the setup. The setup screen is just a field to input the Path to the .exe file.

Example:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10\WinControl.exe

That field is used to send the event parameters to the WinControl.exe file, which is what actually executes the window resize and such.

I got it to work great.

I was trying to find it in Preferences > Plug-ins. I created all the same fields and the one script that I needed into my file that the control file had and made six different scripts for the six different sizes that I needed and everything came out right.

The only thing I wanted to do, and did not get, was get top position and get left position, but kept getting a return of "0" for the file window position. I could not get the app window position.

The next problem I need to solve is to play a movie in a container field with a script and get rid of the controls on the page with the movie.

Thanks

Wayne

Important Information

Terms of Use