Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Moving data from runtime to runtime - easy or not?

hugh71158

Hi,

I was involved in a thread some months ago regarding migrating data, and I can't find it. I do however seem to remember that there was a long script involved in the process. Ok, let me explain the goal.

If I have a runtime, and I want to provide someone in the future with a newer version of said runtime, how do I get (or let them move) the records across.

At the moment, I just updated a file as a test, and it involved going from table to table and importing the records. But a user could not do this as they do not have access to all tables.

Is there a simple way to script this?

Thanks!!!

Hugh

a) Duplicate your existing database file. Rename one copy, e.g., "MyFileName OLD.fp7"

b) Create a file reference in the NON-renamed copy to the renamed one. Then write an import script that imports records from the renamed (old) to the new.

c) As you change the source copy and bind new runtimes from it, use the same binding key. And always bind a duplicated copy as described in a along with the regular one, so that the import script will expect it to exist as "MyFileName OLD.usr"

You don't distribute that file though. When you distribute the new upgrade version to your users, you tell them "First rename your existing file to 'MyFileName OLD' ..."

a) Duplicate your existing database file. Rename one copy, e.g., "MyFileName OLD.fp7"

b) Create a file reference in the NON-renamed copy to the renamed one. Then write an import script that imports records from the renamed (old) to the new.

c) As you change the source copy and bind new runtimes from it, use the same binding key. And always bind a duplicated copy as described in a along with the regular one, so that the import script will expect it to exist as "MyFileName OLD.usr"

You don't distribute that file though. When you distribute the new upgrade version to your users, you tell them "First rename your existing file to 'MyFileName OLD' ..."

Hi,

yes, I seem to recall it being the import script part that was bending my brain before. It is complicated, right?

Hugh

The logic isn't so complicated, but the script can be a bit unweildy in a solution with lots of tables because you need a separate Import Records script for each table, therefore you can't just run a loop.

Here is the thread you're probably remembering in which it was discussed.

The logic isn't so complicated, but the script can be a bit unweildy in a solution with lots of tables because you need a separate Import Records script for each table, therefore you can't just run a loop.

Here is the thread you're probably remembering in which it was discussed.

Aha, yes, that's the thread. Thanks a lot.

Hugh

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.