glasstream2000

Printing what is checked

glasstream2000

Hello, I'm new to filemaker and was wondering how you would go about setting up a check box that a user could check multiple records from a list view to print.

Any help would be very greatful..!

Thanks in advance

HBMarlowe

Define a field in your table, something like PrintCheck. Create a value list called One_Zero, with the values 1 and 0 separated by a hard return. Display the field on your layout as a checkbox, using the One_Zero value list. Make it small, so that only one checkbox shows. In list view there will be one check box for each record. If the box is checked the value in the field is 1.

Once the user has checked the desired records switch to find mode, check the box, then select "Constrain Found Set" from the Records menu. Those are the records you want to print.

This kind of process is often scripted, including a step that clears the 1 in the PrintCheck field in every record in the table so that only records explicitly marked will be printed next time.

If you need help with that please post again.

henryj

Create a new field for your checkbox, naming it whatever you want. The field type should be number. Then create a value list called "1", with 1 being the sole value. Then on your list view, add the field to the body part, and in the field/control setup dialog select "Display As Checkbox Set", with values from the "1" value list.

Once that's done, to print the checked items you just have to perform a find for records with a 1 in your new checkbox field, then print your found set.

HBMarlowe

Hey Henry! I must have beat you by about one second.

John

henryj

smiley-laughing Just saw the time one the posts. So funny! That's ok, your answer was more complete anyway.

glasstream2000

Thanks for your reply!, I have made the value list and the field, can check the boxs and select some records and not others. I would like to have a script that will allow the user to click a button to print only those that are selected, and clearing the checkboxs are the print? maybe if that is also possible....

Thanks alot!

HBMarlowe
Thanks for your reply!, I have made the value list and the field, can check the boxs and select some records and not others. I would like to have a script that will allow the user to click a button to print only those that are selected, and clearing the checkboxs are the print? maybe if that is also possible....

Thanks alot!

Put a button in the header. Set button to not be printed (layout mode

Script is basically like this:

New Window

Enter find mode

Set Field[PrintCheck; 1]

Constrain Found Set

Print Setup [Restore]

Print [Restore]

Close Window [Current window]

Replace Field Contents [PrintCheck ; ""]

See how that goes.

glasstream2000

I got it to open a new window and think I have everything done right ( sorry, new to Filemaker) when I click the button it opens in a new window with the record (has 10 fields in it) shows up just like my list view but with no information in it....

Any idea's

I really thankful for your time in answering also :)

Jack Rodgers

A slightly better approach (a matter of opinion) would be to create a text field and attach a list to it, "Print", with the value of "Print" and set it to a checkbox. Now the field will show a checkbox with the text print and you don't have to worry about the text.

Since the list value is either print or blank, the print will show up in a report without the checkbox.

HBMarlowe
I got it to open a new window and think I have everything done right ( sorry, new to Filemaker) when I click the button it opens in a new window with the record (has 10 fields in it) shows up just like my list view but with no information in it....

Any idea's

I really thankful for your time in answering also :)

That layout with the blank fields is there because you are paused in Find Mode. If you hit the enter key the script will continue. On the Enter Find Mode script step there is an option to pause. If you de-select it you will not see the blank screen at all.

The Constrain Found Set step tells FM to only show marked records that are within the current found set. If you use Perform Find instead you'll have any records that happen to have the PrintCheck field checked in the whole table. If you ALWAYS run your PrintCheckedRecords script after marking records that would be no problem, because the script clears the marker in the end. But because there is no guarantee that the you or another user is not going to mark records for printing and then go do something else, it is safer to use the Constrain step.

The reason for the new window is so that your initial found set is not disturbed. If you do not need to keep it as is, the new window is not necessary.

I'm assuming that it is the list view that you want to print. If that is not the case please say exactly what it is you want to happen.

petek157

I'm assuming that it is the list view that you want to print. If that is not the case please say exactly what it is you want to happen.

It's almost like this topic was mine. This is exactly what I am trying to do, and in fact I am looking to print somewhere other then list view. I am looking to print labels, more specifically post card sized price tags. I have a label print layout that works fine for printing the entire list. I figured out how to find the records in the list that I want to print by using a similar method as in this topic. But how do I print only the found set on my post card price tag layout?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

HBMarlowe

Once you have established your found set go to the price tag layout. From the file menu select Print. In the print dialog that opens specify "Records being browsed."

Jack Rodgers

Replace Field Contents [PrintCheck ; ""]

See how that goes.

Will fail on any record current open by anyone. To do correctly, needs a loop that loads the record and if not locked does its thing. If locked lets the user know, etc. (Filemaker developers are not used to having to do this since Filemaker handles so many tasks but this kind of error is the price of ease of use.)

• WE NEED YOUR DONATION NOW

WE have helped 100,000's of people for many years, now we need your help!!!! Your Donation is Needed to Keep Us Online! Covid 19 and isolation!!!! Without Your Help We Are Gone After 23  Years!

3% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Images

Important Information

Terms of Use