Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Boolean checkboxes?

Spooch56

Hey,

I'm working on a contacts database right now and I need to add a feature that will allow a user entering a new contact to identify whether or not holiday cards should be sent out to the person in question. To do this I want to use a simple boolean checkbox that the user can click to switch between true or false but I don't know the best way to do this. Can anyone help?

Define your field that flags whether the cards should be sent as a number field. Create a value list containing the single custom value of 1 and attach it to the field, which you display as a checkbox set. The field will now contain a value of 1 (true) when checked. You can hide the label that appears with the checkbox set by sizing the checkbox small enough or by formatting the text color of the field the same as the background.

Not sure I understand your question. The field you're defining is not a "constant value". If you mean can you create a relationship comparing the value of this field to a constant in another table occurrence, the answer is yes: Define the other field as a calculation with a number result, equal to 1. But what is it you're trying to accomplish?

I'm sorry, I phrased that badly. Let me explain my current project.

I'm trying to take a database and then add functionality that will allow the users to see all clients that are eligible to receive greeting cards during the holiday season. Although I've worked in numerous programing languages I'm very new to filemaker so to be honest my approach may be completely misguided as it is almost completely different from anything I have worked in before.

I have table called Contact Management. Within this are numerous fields such as address, first name, last name, email, phone number, etc; all the usual things you would expect from a contact card. People who are eligible to recieve cards have a boolean box marked (this prevents companies and such from getting cards) and they are not related AND living in the same household as someone else who is recieving a greeting card.

To do this I am trying to create another table which is an instance of Contact Management called Holiday Contacts. What I thought I could do with relationships is use them to exclude contacts from Holiday Contacts that do not fit the aforementioned criteria, however after playing around with the relationships this does not seem to be the case as people with the same last name and address still are present in Holiday Contacts (I checked this by creating a new layout to browse through Holiday Contacts based on one of the templates).

In the end what I would like to do is compile the names of all of those who are related and living together in the same house hold into one card within Holiday Contacts so that when writing out the card all the names can be included on the envelopes, but I'm not sure how to do that and I can't at the moment think of a way that doesn't involve making a new database all together, which to be honest sounds like awfully large waste of space.

I hope thats better. It's a little extensive but I think it covers just about all my problems in relative detail. Thanks a lot for helping me.

So with the calculation field I described above (let's call it 'Constant') and your number field that you're displaying as a checkbox (let's call it 'Holiday_Flag'), your relationship should be Contacts::Constant=Holiday_Contacts::Holiday_Flag. There are then a couple of ways you can display your related records from Holiday_Contacts. Both involve starting from a layout based on the Contacts table occurrence. You can display them in a portal based on Holiday_Contacts, or you can use a script step like "Go to Related Records [show only related records; from table "Holiday_Contacts"; Using layout "Contacts" (Contacts)]".

Sorry, I kind of skipped over the second part of your question: wanting to list the names of family members together. One way would be to create another self-join relationship. This one would be based on Contacts::Address=Related_Contacts::Address. You could then define a calculation field (again, starting from the Contacts T.O.) that displays the related contacts with the same address like this: List( Related_Contacts::Name ). This will display them separated by carriage returns, but you can use the Substitute function to switch out the returns with commas, or whatever.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.