Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Calculation Not Showing Properly

Richard Coso

New to FileMaker (the last time I used this program was version 4) and would appreciate some help.

I have a data base that I built as a flat file that works great. I have now made it a relational data base ( I know, finally), using all the same calculations. I have two problems, one: When I make a new record and input data in the first table. The data is not filling in on the other nine tables unless I inter something in one of the fields on each table. Two: some of the calculation fields are showing an "?" mark in place of the totals.

New to FileMaker (the last time I used this program was version 4) and would appreciate some help.

I have a data base that I built as a flat file that works great. I have now made it a relational data base ( I know, finally), using all the same calculations. I have two problems, one: When I make a new record and input data in the first table. The data is not filling in on the other nine tables unless I inter something in one of the fields on each table. Two: some of the calculation fields are showing an "?" mark in place of the totals.

LOTS of areas this could be, and without seeing the file, this is speculation, but here's a go.

For a relationship to work, the relationship must be true; both sides populated with data that agrees with the defined relationship. Scripted adds, lookups, create through relationship, .... a number of options based on how you want to interact with your date.

Calculations from a flat file, are going to need to be rewritten to accommodate accessing data that is now in a different table. The ? is an unknown calc.

There are 2 types of calculation fields; auto-enter (created at record creation, updated if any of the predecessor data is changed, can be over-written by user interaction) or calculation fields (always updated if checked as unstored, may not be user modified). Each has it's purpose.

I know this is kinda vague, but not much to go on in your post. smiley-frown

Also, you asked the same question in a different post - not a good practice - has a tendency to piss off the folks that are trying to help by running into redundant info.

If you would, please go into the other thread, and delete your post there. Thanks!

Sorry about the double post, was trying to find out how to make a post. Thanks of the reply. Using FM10.

What I have is data base for an adult arcade. First table is the "add on" for adding cash, chips and gift cards for that shift. Second table is "startup" it receives it's data from the "addon" table. The third table is "cashout" The forth is "pennylog", fith is "potlog" (these are for signing In) table six is "ending" it recives it's info for "startup", cashout", "pennylog and potlog". I have 5 fields that have the ?.

Sorry about the double post, was trying to find out how to make a post. Thanks of the reply. Using FM10.

What I have is data base for an adult arcade. First table is the "add on" for adding cash, chips and gift cards for that shift. Second table is "startup" it receives it's data from the "addon" table. The third table is "cashout" The forth is "pennylog", fith is "potlog" (these are for signing In) table six is "ending" it recives it's info for "startup", cashout", "pennylog and potlog". I have 5 fields that have the ?.

How are they related? The data structure is important for the calculations to work.

Any way to provide the file for scrutiny? You can "save as clone" to create a DB without data, and just add a couple dummy records, if the data is at all sensitive.

Important Information

Terms of Use