Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Products - quotation - invoice. Am I complicating it?

hugh71158

Hi all,

I was wondering if I am making life a little difficult for myself. I will TRY to explain.

I have a table for Products. There is a title, description, price and tax yes/no.

The user can go to the client record and pull in data for a quotation from the Products table using a popup list of the values. Now, this is set as a lookup, in case they want to change the package a little, just for this one client, without changing the core Product. This data is also populated into the Contract layout so it's good to go if the client buys. This is simply looking up the values, NOT creating a record in the Lines table.

So far so good. smiley-smile

But, if I create an Invoice, it pulls the data in the same way, from the original Product table, but also creates a record in Lines. So, any alterations done to this clients record, maybe they were given a special price, now needs to be done again in Invoices. But of course, I don't want to alter the original Product record.

Any thought on this? Can the invoice first be created, then overwritten automatically with any data in the quotation area? Is my brain just not working today???? smiley-smilesmiley-smile

Thanks.

Hugh

Invoices are one of those places where you want to copy the data, not reference it. As you have found, when the references change, so does the invoice - not a good thing for auditing the books smiley-frown

You'll need to approach this as a stored calculation, a scripted SET FIELD, and auto-enter, do not replace, or one of the other myriad ways to make this occur.

Personally, I like detailed control over what is happening. For things like invoices, my current approach is to use a set of global fields, used for temporary entry. Then the OK button, writes the globals to a new record on the invoice, and clears the globals.

Invoices are one of those places where you want to copy the data, not reference it. As you have found, when the references change, so does the invoice - not a good thing for auditing the books smiley-frown

You'll need to approach this as a stored calculation, a scripted SET FIELD, and auto-enter, do not replace, or one of the other myriad ways to make this occur.

Personally, I like detailed control over what is happening. For things like invoices, my current approach is to use a set of global fields, used for temporary entry. Then the OK button, writes the globals to a new record on the invoice, and clears the globals.

Thanks a lot for the reply. It's late here (almost midnight) so I will get to this in the morning.

Thanks again.

Hugh

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.