Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

IWP, One solution mutiple files, and Global Variables

Ritche M

Good day!

I have a solution with multiple files. When I use the client application (Filemaker Pro Advanced), there's no problem with saving values to global variables from related files.

However, when using IWP (Filemaker Server 10 Advanced), writing to global variables in related files is impossible. Even running scripts with or without parameters wont work. It will just open the related file and run an opening script if it has.

I also tried saving to $$variables and then retrieving the value in the related file to no avail.

What is the work around with this problem?

Help needed, thanks!

Actually global $$variables do not persist when you move from one FILE to another even in native Filemaker. They are "per the file, per the session" only. Thus if you want to pass a bit of information to a script that will run in a totally different file, you need to use a ScriptParameter or a ScriptResult (and then perhaps set a $variable or $$variable in the other file)

I also tried passing parameters in script but it does not work when running between related files. It seems IWP just opens the file and run only the "Perform Script" option.

In that case, use global fields instead like we did in FileMaker 3 thru 7.

Set Field [External Table::g.Global, "Value to Set it To"]

Global fields also don't work. I just don't know if it really doesn't work for all or it is just my solution that is not working.

Hmm. Can you definitely "go to" the external file in IWP? You can display its layouts and so forth?

We need kirkrr in here. I think you're over my head, IWP-wise. I only dabble in it.

I can open the related external file in IWP. However, iIt just opens it and run only the "Perform Script" step in File Options.

The syntax in opening in IWP is just like running a script.

Perform Script["Open Table Employees" from file: "External File"]

Although, this just open the External File but not really run the "Open Table Employees" script.

If the external file is compose only of one table, it is not a problem. But when you deal with multiple tables, the problem starts.

Thanks by the way for the response.

:)

I can open the related external file in IWP. However, iIt just opens it and run only the "Perform Script" step in File Options.

The syntax in opening in IWP is just like running a script.

Perform Script["Open Table Employees" from file: "External File"]

Although, this just open the External File but not really run the "Open Table Employees" script.

If the external file is compose only of one table, it is not a problem. But when you deal with multiple tables, the problem starts.

There sounds like something else wrong here - there is no reason that this should be behaving any differently in IWP - it works fine in my environment. Globals are a bit tricky in multi-user, but they are not a problem in multi-file environments.

Something to check:

Do you have each file identified in the Sharing > IWP dialog

Other than that, I would either need your file, or create a simulated situation from scratch, to troubleshoot the issue. What you describe has a number of implications, not the least of which is the called script / calling script / where is the file that it is acting on / relationship issues.

Multi-file solutions are tricky stuff - script behavior is far more selective. Multi-table is far simpler to deal with. (Why do non-expert users - myself included - always tackle the toughest things first??)

In general, however, and with the exception of some human interface issues, if it works in FM Pro, it works in a properly configured IWP setup just fine.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.