Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

8.5 Open Remote

jonathonmadden

Hi

We are having trouble with using open remote over the internet, details of set up as follows:

Office (server) Location

- Host machine (server) running Filemaker 8.5 with sharing turned on

- File we are trying to open remote is named 'Swim Assist'

- Host machine IP is 192.168.1.xx

- Router IP is 79.121.194.xxx

- Router port forwarding is set up on 5003, 50003, 50006 to Host machine IP

Home Location

- Laptop using own Filemaker 8.5 licence

- Broadband connection

Extra Info

- We are able to acces the server machine (to IP 192.168.1.xx) from Home using remote desktop

- We are able to access the file 'Swm Assist' on the server machine via the laptop using open remote (to IP 192.168.1.xx) while physically at the Office location

- Windows Firewall is turned off on Host machine

- Norton is installed and running on Host machine

Any help will be greatly appreciated, been stuck on this for a while.

Kind rgds, Jonathon

192.168.x … is the local IP address which will only be able to be used while at the office. If you want to use open remote from home, you should go to "favourites" in open remote, and add 79.121.194.xxx to the list, ie the external IP address / the IP number your ISP has assigned. to be honest I don't know if this is going to work because I've never tried sharing a file via internet using client-side sharing. (surely purchasing filemaker server would be a nicer and safe option?).

The other option is to setup VPN access on your works router, and then VPN to it. Then you might be able to open up 192.168.1.xx from open remote @ home.

Hi, many thanks for your time to respond.

The problem with using the router (79.121.194.xxx) IP address is that the file is hosted on the machine with IP 192.168.1.xx, this machine is one of many on a local network behind the router.

We have thought about purchasing Filemaker Server to run on the machine we are using as a server at the moment. My understanding is that we will still need to use open remote to access the file on Filemaker Server when away from the office so do you think we will be presented with the same problem?

You need to have your 192.168.xx.xx address port forwarded to an address that is externally accessible. Or, as per Daniel's 2nd suggestion, establish a VPN.

You would have the exact same issue if you had FileMaker Server. A FileMaker Server box on an 192.168.xx.xx IP address won't be any more accessible from outside your office.

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your comments.

The Host machine (IP 192.168.1.xx) is externally accessible as we are able to reach it (from home) via remote desktop.

I have also set up the office router to port forward (ports 5003, 50003, 50006) to the Host machine (IP 192.168.1.xx).

My thought is that the problem must be firewall/router related as we can open remote on IP 192.168.1.xx on the local network at the office.

FYI: the IP address displayed within Edit/Sharing/Filemaker Network Settings (on the Host machine) is TCP/IP Address: 192.168.1.xx

Again, appreciate all your help.

That IP address (IP 192.168.1.xx) only exists inside of your local network. That same IP address can be used on virtually millions of machines globally, each inside of a seperate network.

The machine would need to be manually programmed with an externally available IP from your ISP, in order to access from outside that local network. Or like mentioned by Daniel and Alan, set up a VPN. I don't think the port forwarding thing will work, but I'd have to look into it more...its a very tricky thing, in my mind.

I think port forwarding does work with FileMaker. You may just have to check over your settings. Make sure there's no firewall policies in effect that are blocking.

Hi Guys

The server machine's IP must be externally accessible otherwise we wouldn't be able to access it via remote desktop?

If you're accessing it from the outside using Remote Desktop, you should be able to access it from the outside using FileMaker Pro. (And therefore you must already have a VPN, if the IP you are using as the address in Remote Desktop says 192.168.something)

If you try file, open remote, favorite hosts, input that IP, and nothing shows up, something must be blocking those specific packets.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.