The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Jorgen

Lost picture in repeating Global

Jorgen

Hi There,

In my DB i have a table with a fields, set to container, global and 40 repetitions.

These containers have small pictures in it. There is only one record.

At this moment when i add a picture in a repeating field it will be stored as long as i have opened the DB. When i close it en reopen it again the stored picture is goneOh Really!. Any idea's?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Jörgen

AHunter3

I guess you have the database HOSTED (from FmServer or otherwise) and you are opening it as a guest of that host?

That's how global fields WORK in a multi-user environment: for all guests, the values only persist per the session and are discarded as soon as you log off, and never seen by anyone else even while you are still logged on.

If you wish these to be permanent values in those globals, you must unserve the solution and open it as the sole user, populare the globals, and THEN serve it up for multi-user deployment.

Alternatively, you can create a one-record table of values and, using fields that are NOT globals, place your various values there and have a logon/startup script that loads those values INTO the globals for each individual at the time that they log on to your solution.

Robert Schaub

If the file is on a server you must close it .. Go to the server and open the file with a client version add your graphics to your repeating global . Close the client version, Open the server file again.

When globals are served the last know global contents before the file is servered became the default value. If you change the values when they are beong served . They will change temporarly, however when you close they will revert to the default values. So do it off line and they should stick.

Jorgen

Hi Alan and Chopper,

Thanks for helping me out!

Regards,

Jörgen

arunans

hi i face similar problem.. the client version is not available in the server where it s hosted. i wanna place a logo but it should be for all records. if i use global storage it is reverting back to original when i close db

AHunter3

You can...

a) Create a single record table that you use to populate global fields

b) Create (or edit) the script that runs when the file is first opened by anyone, so as to go first to the single record table and then populate each of the relevant global fields with the corresponding local non-global field in the single record table

c) Then although the globals will lose their value whenever someone closes the database, they will repopulate correctly the moment you log back in

arunans

Hi its a logo that i want to populate. Alternatively i am using a script that inserts the picture which works perfectly. But i do not want to use a script and i want a way to make the container retain the image.Is there any way i can do this? Its a logo that i need to deploy and i am very new to filemaker. Can u suggest me some way to insert a picture using any other way without scripts or maybe jus with container fields or any other data type?

arunans

Hi how do we do this can u explain?

arunans
If the file is on a server you must close it .. Go to the server and open the file with a client version add your graphics to your repeating global . Close the client version, Open the server file again.

When globals are served the last know global contents before the file is servered became the default value. If you change the values when they are beong served . They will change temporarly, however when you close they will revert to the default values. So do it off line and they should stick.

Hi how do we do this? can u explain pls

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.