Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

"archiving" parts of records

Gumbytie

Okay, I have been away from FMP and my work project for a couple weeks, too many projects, not enough time :) But I am spending today focusing on the 'wish list' from the department. But I admit I am brain dead and just nothing clicking right now so throwing this out for some advice.

So our candidate database includes current employees and potentials. We have many artists that work on a freelance basis project to project. We have a section 'Offer/Salary' where we record the project, salary, start and end dates, etc. The new behaviour they would like is to keep all this information. What I mean:

All information filled out. Artist leaves after end of project. We want artist back for another project so a new round of negotiations begins. They don't want to 'lose' the information from previous employment, so a button that pushes the old info into a portal that can be opened/closed as reference while they create a 'new' offer.

Potentially this could reoccur time and again, so each time they come back, the information is pushed into the portal for historical purposes.

So say we hire John Smith for first time.

Name: John Smith

Salary: $20,000

Start Date: 00/00/0000

End Date: 00/00/0000

Project: Project Name

Now John smith leaves. The information is still current, we just change status to ex-employee.

Okay, we want John Smith back for new project so new round of negotiations begins. The recruiter clicks the 'new' button and the information above gets stuffed into this portal "Previous Employment" (maybe PE-001).

Now we have new info in the fields for:

Salary: $30,000

Project wraps and John goes away again. Status once again ex-employee. Alright, now we have a new project and they really want John back.

So recruiter begins negotiations again. Clicks the 'new' button and pushes that latest information into the portal "Previous Employment" (maybe PE-002). Within that portal the recruiter can the 2 previous times he worked here and the related data.

So now they create his new info:

Salary: $35,000

Okay, you get the drift of where I am going with this. I started hunting around the forums here but not even sure what to put into a search box for parameters. I will also be digging into my "Using Filemaker" book once the coffee has kicked in.

Once again, I need to get my brain into FMP mode again and a gentle (or not) kick from fellow users might help :)

Peace

Heh, my coffee is kicking in. Wanted to let everyone know that I am at least thinking about this :) So what I am thinking so far.

I create a archive database with fields matching the ones I want to keep: salary, start date, etc. Then the 'new' button in the main record 'pushes' this information into this archive database as a 'new' record. There can be multiple records with the same person, each would be previous employments.

The portal in the main record would 'read' these records based on the name of the employee so the recruiter can 'see' the historical employment history. To make it pretty, the employment history portal is hidden until they click a button to view.

This is starting to sound right in my head at least. Right track?

Heh, my coffee is kicking in. Wanted to let everyone know that I am at least thinking about this :) So what I am thinking so far.

I create a archive database with fields matching the ones I want to keep: salary, start date, etc. Then the 'new' button in the main record 'pushes' this information into this archive database as a 'new' record. There can be multiple records with the same person, each would be previous employments.

The portal in the main record would 'read' these records based on the name of the employee so the recruiter can 'see' the historical employment history. To make it pretty, the employment history portal is hidden until they click a button to view.

This is starting to sound right in my head at least. Right track?

Why not keep them in the same file and change their portal-view status with a status field (Active / inactive)?

AN active/in-active flag (button) is one part of it. But the bigger issue is how do I track all the iterations of the negotiations/contracts? That is the more important part of the equation. The current employee record would always reflect the last negotiated salary, position, etc. and whether they are currently active or not. The key is being able to look at all their previous contract rates, position, etc.

The only way I could come up with (at the moment) was to stuff the data into a separate database as 'former' records that I could pull into a portal. Not saying that is the most efficient way but so far, the best my coffee addled brain can come up with as a start.

Mind you, the problem with that methodology is I am testing it now but it doesn't create a 'new' record for each contract. It keeps overwriting the existing one in this 'previous employment' database. Haven't figured out how to create multiple records from one person.

To clarify, this is the script I have when the recruiter hits the 'new' button to push the old contract information into the previous employment database:

Set Field [Previous Employment::Name First; Candidate Database::Name First]

Set Field [Previous Employment::Name Last; Candidate Database::Name Last]

Set Field [Previous Employment::Position; Candidate Database::Position]

Set Field [Previous Employment::Title; Candidate Database::Title]

Set Field [Previous Employment::Project; Candidate Database::Project]

Set Field [Previous Employment::TheDepartment; Candidate Database::TheDepartment]

Set Field [Previous Employment::Rate; Candidate Database::Rate]

Set Field [Previous Employment::Start Date; Candidate Database::Start Date]

Set Field [Previous Employment::End Date; Candidate Database::End Date]

Obviously I am still missing some logic. This works, but the idea is this would be record one. If the employee comes back for round 3, the latest contract is pushed into this previous employment database as a new record. Within the portal on the main database, each of these previous employment contracts would be visible.

Example:

John Smith

Current Contract (number 3)

Portal:

Contract One history

Contract Two history

I hope this is making sense :)

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.