Answers

Filemaker & Excel - Daily Calendar

Answers

I have a database that tracks home inspections, there are technicians, dates, times and duration. I have a calendar that I created in Filemaker that links through relationships and portals to display the services on the right days. The weekly view has 7 portals for example. The problem is a daily calendar with times in 30 minute increments (e.g. 7am, 7:30am, 8am etc...) to have it display all the appointments at the right times. It would require an awful lot of relationships and portals.

The old program that we have moved away from had a daily calendar, and you could actually drag and drop appointments where you want. It looked like an excel spreadsheet, a grid fomat. I was thinking maybe I could populate an excel spreadsheet from filemaker & achieve the same thing. I'm just not sure how Filemaker will link with excel and update automatically.

I have attached an excel spreadsheet to give an idea. I just need a push in the right direction, and I'm not sure if this is possible.

Weetbicks

I very much encourage you to check out the demo file for our Fusion Reactor plugin. We have a feature called Day Calendar which is exactly what you are after.

No need for setting up multiple relationships & portals to build a calendar, all you need is to stick a web viewer on your layout, and use the DayCalendar function, fill out the required parameters, and you're all set. What you get is a beautiful javascript-based calendar that is directly linked to your filemaker table.

It costs nothing to check out the demo, you can download it Here.

A little bit of news too, the next version of Reactor is going to include MonthCal , which is a supecharged version of DayCal, allowing you to have a month view, as well as week/day etc, it looks amazing too.

Answers

Thank you, I downloaded the trial version. It does look great, and I like the fact that you can drag & drop. So that will update the schedule automatically? We have a services database where we setup 'work orders', just making sure that when we change an appointment in the web viewer interface it will change the corresponding related record right?

Some questions:

What if two items are scheduled at the same time, can we do that?

And instead of have all the days listed in columns I just want to display one day and instead each column would be a different tech's schedule.

And when I looked it over I wanted to know how I could jump to a particular date?

This might help me achieve what we need.

Weetbicks

Some of the features you mentioned are coming in version 2 which will be around in a month or two. I'm not sure if you can overlap bookings in the current version, but I know for a fact that you can in the next version, and it is handled gracefully.

Answers

Another question. I do want to know if I can make the daily calendar view wider (it says the column widths are fixed) and if it works like a portal can I then put multiple web viewer objects on a layout, and each one be related to a different 'technician' by using the field record id I suppose. That way we can see all the technicians scheduled for the day side by side.

I'm debating whether to wait for the new version in a month or two. I want to make sure it will fit our needs.

Thank you!

Caroline

Weetbicks

One web viewer on the layout, no need for multiple web viewers - I think you don't quite understand what Reactor does , perhaps you should download the demo file and check it out. In the next version the web viewer is resizeable and the calendar contained within will resize based on the size of your layout.

Answers
One web viewer on the layout, no need for multiple web viewers - I think you don't quite understand what Reactor does , perhaps you should download the demo file and check it out. In the next version the web viewer is resizeable and the calendar contained within will resize based on the size of your layout.

I downloaded the demo. And I see what Reactor does. What I want to do is a have just one day displayed with the times like you have, but I want the schedule for one day to be displayed for multiple people. a matrix format. Would that be possible to do with reactor? I attached an example.

Weetbicks

Anything is possible with Reactor, however your particular issue is not possible simply using the built in black box controls. In order to achieve what you want, you'll need to have some customisation to the day calendar done. In addition to building the plugin, we also do customisation work for projects that need specific things done.

I'll send you a private message in regards to this. Cheers

Answers

Hey I had chatted with you before about your plugin and our particular needs. I was waiting for the new version, is it out yet?

Caroline

remoran

I tried using the plug but because it is not modifiable, FM 11 locks up.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.