Sign in to follow this  
ferg

List names from 7 separate fields

ferg

I have 7 fields, they each contain a name. I want to combine any or all of the names that happen to be in those seven fields and list them from top to bottom. May only be one name, two, maybe seven, I just want the names no empty fields/spaces.

It seems a script would be the easiest way, I can't get my brain wrapped around a script.

ferg

AHunter3

Calc field (result type "text"):

Field A & "¶" &

Field B & "¶" &

Field C & "¶" &

Field D & "¶" &

Field E & "¶" &

Field F & "¶" &

Field G

any questions?

ferg

WELL, It worked great with an exception.

If a customer orders three names all on the same Order #, the only way I can get the 2nd and 3rd name to show is click on the field having the 1st name. I need those "Orphans" to be in the list also.

Some help, please?

ferg

AHunter3

I didn't understand what you said. What happens when someone does what and doesn't do what?

Are you saying that if Field A is empty but Field B and Field C are not empty, the calculated "show-em-all" field does not display the values from Field B and Field C?

ferg

I Import orders from an Excel File into an ORDERS Table in FM. All files/orders import.

We may get a single customer request for 7 different Monograms. In the list we have for manufacturing the Monograms, the first monogram shows in the list, the remaining six does not show directly. If you click on the First monogram you can see all six of the others but they do not appear in the list and do not increment the count. They are like "Orphans".

Does this help any?

Regards,

ferg

AHunter3

Nope.

Write to me like I'm your grandma. Explain in excruciating detail exactly how your 7 fields are defined and exactly how your columns in Excel line up with those 7 when you import. And why you have 7 fields to begin with, that's not obvious to me. Please assume that I will not understand anything that you do not explain to me about how your db is set up.

EDIT: since you're a full member, how about posting an empty clone of your database, a sample Excel file, and either the script you use to import or (if you import manually) a screen shot of the import dialog showing what columns in Excel are lined up with what fields in FileMaker.

ferg

This is far too extensive and difficult to explain on the forum.

I will send this to you personally, later today with an attempt to explain what we do and how this has transpired. I hope you have enough time to take a look at it.

ferg

AHunter3

OK I will watch for it in my email. Use the word "FileMaker" in the subject line, please.

ferg

This thread has gotten a little disconnected from my original post.

What I wanted/needed with this will not work properly. The information and calculation AHunter gave was true, it just didn't accomplish what we needed.

I have been determined to get this to work, so my thought processes took me to the source. We actually receive our orders via a CSV file, the source. I went into the CSV file and changed columns to the way I needed them, converted to Excel and then imported to FileMaker. May seem redundant to some of you. There are just a few things that need to be manipulated by hand but so far things work.

I obviously have not gone into all the facts here but wanted to give this much info.

ferg

kirkrr

Ferg,

In our off-line conversations, the conclusions were that retaining the flat file structure of the imported file, although doable, is excruciatingly painful to get to the desired result. The hoops that you have to jump through to get what you want, which is relatively trivial in a relational model, is an exercise in programming agility best left to experts well beyond my admittedly trivial skills.

I believe that you will get close to where you want with your existing data model, but reporting is going to have things in there that you won't be able to not display, if you want the other stuff to display. You tribulations to date are representative of those trials.

Personally (my $0.02 worth) I think you would be better off getting this forum to help you convert the flat file into a relational model. I expect the players here could be far more help to you if you went down that path.

Basically, you have an order, a buyer, and an address, along with 9 line items max per order.

You need to have a routine that goes through this import table, and takes the 9 line items to individual records, related to the order.

ferg

Kirk,

As I have said to you and Allen many times I appreciate everything you have done for me and helped me with. I am attaching the file as it is today, maybe it is not considered relational. I have some tweaking to do yet, such as making Invoices all conclude into one Table, Back Orders the same and other things I want to do with Scripts. Instead of having an Order Table for each company I will have one with unique access from all of them. Quite frankly, I am tired of messing with this right now, I am brain dead.

I know that my methods are maybe not professional enough for a number of this forum's members. I have spent two weeks sending copies of files, screen shots, and many written words in an attempt to explain what has to happen in this scenario. I doubt that anyone knows at this time what it is that I need.

I have this in working order, I know where the "Ugly Spots" are and I will fix them and quite frankly I don't give two hoops and a holler if it is technically Relational or not.

Sorry for the Rant. This is not a means of downplaying the fantastic Training sessions from Kirk, or the help from Allan. I have learned a lot from you folks and I will be forever grateful.

ferg

kirkrr

Wow! This is a LONG way from where I first saw it! AWESOME.

You have some data redundancies, but minor, compared to where you were.

I need to take some time to figure out the how and whys but a quick look indicates that you may be real close to having things working. Let me take some time to look it over......

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.