Bill_gator

Import DBF into fm10 solution

Bill_gator

Hello,

In FM10 they took out the .dbf import and export.

Just an heads up if u come across this problem.

solution on import

open the *.dbf file in excel and save it as an xls(xlsx)

now u can import it into FM 10 don't know about the export part.

hope it helps you

regards

Barry

4specs

I discovered the lack of dbf support by FM10 this morning when I went to import my monthly stats. This has been easily done with Lotus Approach using a dbf format and a join operation . I had also just installed Office 2007 which does not export to dbf either.

After several passes at the problem, I reinstalled FM9 as a second Filemaker program on my computer and plan to use it every month for this process.

HÃ¥kon

I think it is a sad thing that FileMaker took away direct import of DBF files in ver. 10. The most common vector map file format are shape files where attributes are stored in dbf files. Before I have always used FileMaker to massage map attribute data in my GIS works, and now I have to store a 9.0 version of FileMaker to do this. I can not understand why they did it either. Is it a problem with the sausage that are to long?

HÃ¥kon

Maarten Witberg

Couldn't agree more! I put in a feature request to restore this functionality. I have tried to find out if I could somehow link to these files as ODBC source but wasn't succesful. it would be great if there could be a live or semi live link between filemaker and gis.

Riccardocasoli

I'm very disappointed too for this omission in new version! I can't understand the reason. DBF format, even if is a very out of date format, is still largely used in GIS applications. I support the request to reintroduce the Import/export DBF format.

gatesbuster

Totally disappointed. I used for years lotus approach which is a great program; unfortunately they stopped developping it. I went to filemaker pro 9. It works great even though I still like better approach for the possibility of importing all kind of formats and the charting and crosstab features. I will not go with fiemaker pro 10 as I am constantly importing dbf files every week. I am on a mac now and I cannot open these dbf files with mac excel 08. I guess filemaker is following microsoft; not the best idea to my opinion.

Josh Ormond
Couldn't agree more! I put in a feature request to restore this functionality. I have tried to find out if I could somehow link to these files as ODBC source but wasn't succesful. it would be great if there could be a live or semi live link between filemaker and gis.

See how nicely those feature requests work...support for DBF import/export is included in the 10.0v3 updater.

Maarten Witberg

hey that's great news. thanks for the heads up :cool:

Josh Ormond

Although I was noticing the update is marked as a Windows update.

Does that mean that Mac users can't Import/Export DBF? Anyone know for sure...or am I reading it wrong.

Maarten Witberg
Josh Ormond

Thanks. I figured I was reading too much into it.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.