Satheesh

Export Container field content of a word document file to a text field

Satheesh

I have a container field which holds a word document file. I want the word document content to a text field as text. I am trying it for more than 3 hours. I didnt get any idea till nowsmiley-frown. So send me a solution and make me relief......

I have a container field which holds a word document file. I want the word document content to a text field as text. I am trying it for more than 3 hours. I didnt get any idea till nowsmiley-frownsmiley-frownsmiley-frown. So send me a solution and make me relief......

Thanks for your reply. I dont know about AppleScript. Is there any other way to obtain the solution.

I want to drag and drop the word document file to a filemaker application. But i am getting an alert message saying that the file cannot be translated. Is there any idea to drag and drop the word document to a text field with its content.Oh Really!Oh Really!Oh Really!

AHunter3

a) Export the Word document FROM the container field to a calculated location on your desktop.

b) Using Perform AppleScript, tell Word to go launch that file and select all and copy the contents of the document to the clipboard. Sorry, I don't know the AppleScript for that, I do not own Word and will not let Word get within 500 yards of my computer. But you can Advanced-Google the phrase "tell application" plus the phrase "microsoft Word" and the word "copy" and that should give you some answers.

c) Then you can continue your AppleScript telling "me" (FileMaker) to set the field such-and-such to the contents of the clipboard.

AHunter3

Can you start over, explaining in detail what you are trying to do?

Do you have ONE Word document which is in a container field and you want the text OF that Word document in a text field instead?

Do you have a whole BATCH of Word documents in container fields instead?

The Word documents in the container fields, are they stored "as a reference" or are they stored inside of FileMaker itself?

In the other threads you keep asking about "drag and drop". What is it that you expect to be able to drag into what and what do you expect to happen when you do?

mhari

Hello,

The actual requirement is We want to import the contents of Word document (.doc) into filemaker. We have tried lot of methods to achieve the solution. But still the problem persists.

We also have another question, we have a word document in container field, We want to copy the content of that word document into text field in filemaker. Is this can be achieved usign any scripts ?

If you have any solution, kindly reply.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hari

Maarten Witberg

you can import txt, csv and excell files into filemaker.

you need to supply us with sample data and desired result (which portion of the text goes into which field) to advise further.

fwiw applescript won't help you on windows....

mhari

Please see the attached file. I have just created a script which will show you what I'm expecting. I want to extract the content from container field to text field.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hari

Satheesh

Hi,

Yes, I have word dcouments in my pc. I want to drag and drop the word document into a container field. Then i want those entire contents of the word document file from the container field to a text field in text in the same layout.

Please help me to get the solution.

Thank You,

Regars,

Satheesh

Guru D

could any one tell me the tool that Transfer the word file to filemaker.....

Where its available. Then how will get it...

Thanks

AHunter3

a) There is no built in way to drag and drop a Word document into FileMaker. Period. Get Over It!

b) If you want all of the text that is inside of one Word document to go into one solitary FileMaker Pro text field, you should follow the advice given by Techphan here: open the Word document, select all, copy, click into the FileMaker field, and paste.

c) If that is NOT what you want to do, or are trying to do, you need to explain to us why and how that does not answer your question. Nobody in here is a mind reader.

d) If you (Guru D) and Satheesh and mhari are all from the same company trying to address the same problem, would you folks PLEASE let us know, and DO read each others' posts and the replies to them, and do NOT start any more threads on the same subject?

e) If you have 10 or 1000 Word documents and you want to automatically import the text that is inside of them into FileMaker text fields, there is no easy & simple way to do that. I would use AppleScript, as I have already told you here. I understand that AppleScript may be a bit more complicated than what you were hoping for, but asking the same question over and over again isn't going to make a new method spring up like magic. Word is not an inherently importable format the way Excel is. You can't "just do it".

f) If you are trying to parse the text that is in the word document and send bits of it to ONE FileMaker field and other bits of it to ANOTHER FileMaker field, that's also a different issue.

pib

Hello

I have word document as an external file.

I would like to the container to show the first part of the document. Is it possible? Id so how?

Thank youv ery much for any help.

Regards to all.

pib \o/

Jack Rodgers

IF you have Filemaker 10 AND Word 2007 this is a piece of cake. Not sure if it works with other versions.

Click in the container field then drag the filemaker window to the side so you can see the icon of the Word document in the finder or another window.

Drag the icon of the file into the container field and release it.

BANG... the document will appear in the container field.

Now double click on the container field and Word will open within Filemaker. Select Save as text and there you are...

You can also get the Word doc into the container field by select Insert Object, checking the object for manually selecting the file, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.