suzyb

nonprofit needs FM and SQL integration help

suzyb

We are trying to have a continuous connection between our FM and SQL via the ODBC data source and shadow tables. However, it wasn't as easy as FM advertized. We need our SQl to update whenever we modify or create a new record, and vice versa. Has anyone had experience with this?

David Head

I have experience both setting up and using an ESS connection. What is the problem? What is the SQL database?

Soglaos

I have had a great deal of experience in Setting up both and having them talk with each other.

We are trying to have a continuous connection between our FM and SQL via the ODBC data source and shadow tables. However, it wasn't as easy as FM advertized. We need our SQl to update whenever we modify or create a new record, and vice versa. Has anyone had experience with this?

suzyb

It is a MySQL 5 database. Essentially, our website draws from mysql, which currently we make weekly exports from FM to my sql. We would like not have to export anymore. When we add a simple shadow table to the relationship graph it does not seem to have the effect we want, i.e. make new records and updates via the relationship. We have then considered going from mysql to FM and changing every field in FM to the mysql fields. However, I am worried this will screw up our scripting or other hidden relationships. Does this make sense?

Basically, is what we are trying to do simple, or way more complicated than we are thinking it is?

Josh Ormond

suzyb,

Sorry to see you are still haven't gotten this working yet.

We have then considered going from mysql to FM and changing every field in FM to the mysql fields. However, I am worried this will screw up our scripting or other hidden relationships. Does this make sense?

Basically, is what we are trying to do simple, or way more complicated than we are thinking it is?

The database needs to be changed, yes. The layouts need to point to the shadow tables, fields need to be displaying data from the MySQL table, and the scripts need to be referencing the MySQL tables.

Complicated? That all depends on how complex your database is. It's more tedious than complicated to make the changes. Here are the basic steps (Make a copy of the database to do the changes on, just in case):

1. Make sure all the tables/fields in MySQL match your FM tables/fields.

2. Change the layouts to display data from the corresponding MySQL table, instead of the FM table.

3. Same needs to be done for each of the fields on each layout.

4. Scripts need to be updated to reference MySQL tables/fields, instead of FM tables/fields.

5. Value Lists that you are using need to stay in FM. Can't use a value list from a MySQL table.

Then when you create new records and make updates, it is actually done in MySQL.

There are FM Migrator tools out there (for a price). I don't know how easy they are to use...I have never used them.

suzyb

Unfortunately, our database is complicated, or at least for us, since none of us know much about FM. Any chance you would want to take a gander at it?

Soglaos

Suzy,

I would be happy to take a look at your database. This is one area in which I work daily. Yuo can contact me at brucelk1@verizon.net .. Email me and Iwill provide a contact number

Bruce

Unfortunately, our database is complicated, or at least for us, since none of us know much about FM. Any chance you would want to take a gander at it?

suzyb

Essentially, we would want someone to look at our database first before we would decide the next action to take. Mainly because we had a guy in here look at it and he just wasted his time because he really had no idea how to do it or what we were asking for. If I just sent a file of our database would you be able to examine it and decide if it was possible? We have a beast of a mess of a relationship graph and we have no idea how the relationships work.

rongreene

Deciphering messy databases is something I've had a lot of experience with. I'd be happy to take a look at it if you'd like...

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.