The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
zenith

Separate value list items into fields

zenith

Is there any way of taking the contents of a value list and separating it out into different fields.

For example, I have value list that looks like this

cat

dog

canary

frog

Can I send those values to 4 different fields animal 1, animal 2, animal 3 animal 4?

David Head

My question would be - Why?

What are you trying to do?

If you have "4 different fields animal 1, animal 2, animal 3 animal 4", it sounds like bad structure to me.

It certainly can be done but I think you are doing the wrong thing.

zenith

I posted earlier (see below) and was wondering about other methods of achieving the desired outcome. I concede it's a hair-brained idea.

Previous post:

I want to derive data from a self-join relationship for use in xmchart.

I have been using the get summary function, grouping by the target field and then exporting to a second 'charting' file. This worked fine but for reasons I won't go into I want to streamline this process and avoid exporting .tab files over the network. The field in question is called incident type and relates via the unique id key student_id.

I created a self-join and related by student_id and incident type and then used the count function to determine how many of each incident had occurred for an individual student. For example physical harassment 6 incidents.

The method I have used means that I will only have the physical harassment count repeated on every record where the student has an incident type recorded as physical harassment. I want a summary of all of the incident types for a student to appear in a record in the format shown at bottom of page).

note: I did get a list but it appeared as follows

physical harassment 4

physical harassment 4

physical harassment 4

physical harassment 4

swearing 2

swearing 2

etc

My preferred format:

Student_Id

bullying 5

swearing 2

smoking 1

zenith

Addendum: the only way I could manage to separate the items out and show them in a single record was by compiling a value list.

David Head

So what are you REALLY after?

Try not to tell me how to do it - just what you want.

And when you give examples, it is helpful to show the data and the result that derives from that data. In your previous post, I assume that the result does not match the example.

David Head

So would you like to enlighten us as to what you did and how you did it?

Others may be able to benefit.

zenith

I went with my original idea of using the get summary function, grouping by the target field and then exporting to a second 'charting' file.

I discovered the problem I was having was related to xmchart and not something I had done. I upgraded my xmChart from 3.03 to 3.3 and the problem was solved. FYI the problem was that graphs would only update on seemingly random occasions rather than each time the target field was used (I used myButler Do Script to activate the graphs on field entry).

Hopefully this helps others, I will try to take a more team oriented approach to future postings, thanks David.

drakedane
My question would be - Why?

What are you trying to do?

If you have "4 different fields animal 1, animal 2, animal 3 animal 4", it sounds like bad structure to me.

It certainly can be done but I think you are doing the wrong thing.

Why would this be "bad structure". I have exactly the same issue. Irrelevant to explain WHY I would need this; but this would absolutely be the best way to resolve an issue we have, without having to totally redesign our system. your reply would seem to suggest that this is exactly what you would do: redesign from scratch. However, it often occurs that we will build something and later we are asked to make an update or change that (had we been given that originally) we might have designed the system totally differently from the beginning. But often no way to redesign our entire system, simply because something new "came up". The only solution is usually to figure out if there is a way to "work around" issues caused by a new request. In this case, the solution would be to figure out how to separate a LIST in one field, into different fields. Chances are I WILL end up just redesigning, especially given replies like yours. I mean: If there is a way to do this, why not just explain. Why reply to a question with "Why?" and telling the person they are doing something wrong? If you don't have an answer, just say so. Sorry to be so abrupt, but been trying to resolve this same issue since last week. So frustrating, when the "Senior Moderator-Consultant" replies as you did.

Edited by drakedane

doughemi

Umm.. you DID notice that the last post on this thread was from 2008, didn't you?

Anytime you have fields named Something1, Something2, ... SomethingN, you are almost sure to need SomethingN+1 at some point. The correct way to have attributes such as this is to have a related table that can then contain unlimited records (a one-to-many relationship) of Somethings. In this way, you do not have to rebuild your schema when SomethingN+1 comes along; you just add a new record in the related table. Most times, rebuilding ends up being the most economical way to resolve the issue as compared to workarounds piled on workarounds.

The professionals (and amateurs like me) volunteer their time and expertise in this forum. In order to provide the best answer, we often need the OP to provide more information about his/her actual problem. Many times, the problem is not where the originator thinks it is. We can't redesign your system but we can, with enough details, provide a roadmap to the best solution. We try to provide the best answers to specific problems. There are multiple ways to solve most problems in FileMaker. Sometimes it requires a dialog and asking for more information. We can't provide a complete tutorial to the entire application.

Getting your back up because the answer is not specific enough for you even though your description of the problem is impossibly generic and possibly in no way related to an 8 year old post that is just as vague is not the best way to get answers. To describe the details of your dilemma as "irrelevant" almost guarantees that the answers will be just as "irrelevant", if forthcoming at all.

Edited by doughemi

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.