Sign in to follow this  
Rmanbike

new table from old file

Rmanbike

Problem is I have 5 different files, each only has one table, but none have any records (data), just all the fields and of course the layouts. Now I would like to create just one file; with 5 tables, using the same fields and layouts from all of the previous 5 different files. Is their any way I can do this, It would save a lot of time and work, instead of having to start from scratch again. I have FM 7, I understand maybe their is a way you can do this in FM 7 advanced?

Molson
Now I would like to create just one file; with 5 tables, using the same fields and layouts from all of the previous 5 different files. I have FM 7, I understand maybe their is a way you can do this in FM 7 advanced?

No, FileMaker 7 *advanced*, which was called FileMaker Developer7, did not have the import table feature.

Table import began with FM 8.0.

If you are going to purchase an advanced version, just get FM9 Advanced.

There are at least three ways to bring the tables into the new file:

1] Add one blank record to each file and import. File > Import Records... > File.. select the file and choose Target... New Table. Import and you are done. Repeat for the other 4 and you have them combined.

2] In a newer FMPA version, open the files, select the table and copy. Then move to new file and paste the table into the file.

3] In the new file, use the Import option on the Table tab. Either of these options does not require records in the importing table.

Here's a feature list for the FM versions.

Rmanbike

So no way of doing this in FM 7

AHunter3

There is, actually: go to import RECORDS from the source file and in the resulting dialog, where you would match up the fields, on the right hand side (target/destination side), you'll find a dropdown where you pick the target table in that file OR choose to create a NEW TABLE. Do that.

Repeat for the other 4.

Rmanbike

Thanks very much Molsen and AHunter3, when I do this in import/file/map/ I dont have a drop-down choice for destination side; only the file-table that I am importing into. No way I see to create "new table". Only choice I have is to match files from "target to destination" And of course destination is a blank file...so no files to match to.

What I am trying to do is save a lot of time and not have to create a whole new database from scratch-- but use the existing files along with the custom layouts I have within those files I have already created before. So if I have 10 different files and I want to create a new database using some of those files, but this new database would not have just one table but have multiply tables that would be easily created very quickly by using the files/layouts from the 10 different files that I have already created. So when I import any of these files into my new database each time I import a file; this file would become a table in my new database. Retaining all the original files and layouts. So I would not need to go to "Define Database" "Files" and re-enter all the names of the files and after that have to go and create the same layouts again, in this new database.

Does this make sense?

Ender

No, you can't do it in FM7 unless you use a third-party program like FM Robot (and for that I think you need the Developer/Advanced version to make the DDR). The table creation option in the Import dialog was introduced in FM8, like Michele said.

Even with FM7, it's pretty easy to just re-create the fields in the new file. If you have hundreds of fields, then you've got bigger problems that should be solved by rewriting the solution anyway, in a more normalized structure.

In any case, re-creating the fields (or importing the tables) does not automatically bring in the layouts, value lists, or scripts. Those will all need to be imported, copied, or re-created manually.

It sounds like you may be thinking of building solutions out of existing modules on demand, combining them into a single file for each use (each client?). Kind of an à la carte thing. This really isn't as simple as you may be thinking, for the reasons I gave above. It would be easier to retain the separate files for different modules, and just change the navigation/menu to show the available modules, and navigate to the correct file. Separate files can also simplify changing/upgrading of particular modules in a larger solution.

Rmanbike

Thanks very much for this Ender, I was afraid in the end, I would have to start a new database file if I wanted to have everything in one file. I just thought this would be simplest method for my clients. Well for me anyway because I my limited knowledge of FM.

But from your point of view as a developer, and me just thinking common sense, wouldnt this be a great feature to have in FM, an easy and fast solutions for creating a custom database for your clients; if most of the work was already completed from previous modules (fields, layouts, scripts etc) that you could use over and over again? kinda like not having to re=invent the wheel all the time ? Brilliant!

AHunter3

I apologize for the misinformation. Ender is right. I am wrong. That feature was added in a later version (ability to indicate "new table" in an Import dialog). Not available in FileMaker 7.

Molson
... wouldnt this be a great feature to have in FM, an easy and fast solutions for creating a custom database for your clients; if most of the work was already completed from previous modules (fields, layouts, scripts etc) that you could use over and over again? kinda like not having to re=invent the wheel all the time ? Brilliant!

If you convert the files to the FMP 7 format (used by FMP 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9), you will have all of the fields, layouts, scripts, etc. of the original. You'll need to systematically work through all of those to make sure all works as expected in the new FileMaker, but if the system is not too complex, this is not a bad option. If you had 5 files in the old, you will have 5 files in the converted one. You could combine them into one at a later date if that were a benefit.

Because your original post started off by wanting to import the tables into one file and didn't mention wanting layouts, scripts, etc., I took off on how you could import the tables/files, thinking that was most important to you.

However, if maintaining the layouts, etc. is the overriding issue, then conversion should be a help to you. To convert, open all the files at once with the version of FM7 you have. Drag and drop them all at once on the FM7 application and it will take care of the rest.

HTH,

Michele

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.