b12zn

Dependent value list for a database

b12zn

I have a database used for teaching students.

It needs a basic feature that I have a very hard time implementing with my knowledge of filemaker.

It records questions for Subjects that I do each session.

One subject has many topics, One topic has many subtopics and one subtopic has many questions.

I want a dependent value list set up for the "Question Edit layout" so that a subject / topic selection would show only the related subtopics and subtopic selection would show the questions in it. The value lists for Subjects, topics and subtopics should allow to enter new values into them from the drop down list.

Reply if interested. Please quote an approximate amount for doing this.

US based developers preferred as it will be easier to meet them and discuss should a need arise.

Marc_Z

Should be easy to implement by setting up four tables:

table 1 - subject

table 2 - topics

table 3 - subtopics

table 4 - questions

each table gets a primary key

table 2 gets a foreign key for table 1

table 3 gets foreign keys for table 2 and table 1

table 4 gets foreign keys for table 3, table 2 and table 1

set up a screen where you can create subjects, topics, subtopics, and questions, so that as you create each, the script will assign the correct foreign keys to the records you are creating

then the value lists would be created using the tables records rather than 'static' value lists, which;

-could only be dependent on the related subtopic, topic, or subject, if -

you built several layouts for each to accommodate for all the variables within each table

the only problem with this type of value list creation is that the value list will sort alphabetically unless you choose to populate the field with the primary key (of which the list will sort using that)

bottom line, static value lists can be arranged to your choosing, value lists from fields will sort using the values in the field(s) you choose

something like this can be created in about 2-3 hours if you decide to use a table based dynamic value list creation scheme

using a layout dependent static value list scenario would involve many more hours and would be dependent upon how many subjects, topics, subtopics, and questions you are planning to store within the database

Soglaos

I see you got it explained to you but if you want I will do the work for you setup as you would like and then return it to you. Charge for something like well would be free to you. This is simple and do not mind helping someone out when they need it.

My contact information is:

brucelk1@verizon.net

I have a database used for teaching students.

It needs a basic feature that I have a very hard time implementing with my knowledge of filemaker.

It records questions for Subjects that I do each session.

One subject has many topics, One topic has many subtopics and one subtopic has many questions.

I want a dependent value list set up for the "Question Edit layout" so that a subject / topic selection would show only the related subtopics and subtopic selection would show the questions in it. The value lists for Subjects, topics and subtopics should allow to enter new values into them from the drop down list.

Reply if interested. Please quote an approximate amount for doing this.

US based developers preferred as it will be easier to meet them and discuss should a need arise.

b12zn

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks much Marc_Z for the explanation. It worked to fix my database.

Soglaos, very much appreciate your intent to help.

Shall contact you later because the department is considering to set up an intranet through which to serve the records to different classes. That is something way out of my capability.

Soglaos

Let me know if I can be of any help,

Bruce L. Knight

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks much Marc_Z for the explanation. It worked to fix my database.

Soglaos, very much appreciate your intent to help.

Shall contact you later because the department is considering to set up an intranet through which to serve the records to different classes. That is something way out of my capability.

klimis

Talk to me, I have already written several programs. Contact me, klimism@yahoo.com Been a long time since I check this site.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.