The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Coltom

Tooltips - text formatting?

Coltom

Can tooltip text be formatted when specifying a calculation for it's output, e.g. TextSize ( text ; textsize ) when used with Self only seems to give the field contents as the default tooltip text size? This would be useful when, as I do, there are many fields close together with smallish text.

Also (sorry, a newbie question) which function returns just the field name (as in the Table)?

Norma_Snockurs
Can tooltip text be formatted when specifying a calculation for it's output...?

No. In fact I don't think there's any way of changing the font used either. FileMaker appears to use a 'built-in' one as changing the application's default font preference has no effect on a tooltip font.

...which function returns just the field name...?

Get ( ActiveFieldName ) returns the name of the currently active (i.e. has the cursor in it) field.

Coltom
No. In fact I don't think there's any way of changing the font used either. FileMaker appears to use a 'built-in' one as changing the application's default font preference has no effect on a tooltip font.

Thanks, I assumed that was the case. Annoying though, as it would be useful especially for someone with less than perfect vision like me.

Get ( ActiveFieldName ) returns the name of the currently active (i.e. has the cursor in it) field.

Sorry, should have been more specific here. I was wondering (and I don't think there is) if there's a way of specifying a field name with just a mouseover in the same way the tooltip can mouseover a field and return the field content. That way one could have a mouseover tooltip that displayed both field name and contents without having to click into the field to get the field name.

extensitech

There's not. (But it'd be nice.)

As a workaround, you could put the name in the field comment in Manage Database, then use the FieldComment function to return that in a tooltip.

HTH

Chris Cain

Extensitech, Inc.

Thomas Meglasson
Can tooltip text be formatted when specifying a calculation for it's output, e.g. TextSize ( text ; textsize ) when used with Self only seems to give the field contents as the default tooltip text size? This would be useful when, as I do, there are many fields close together with smallish text.

Also (sorry, a newbie question) which function returns just the field name (as in the Table)?

To get the field name: GetFieldName ( Self )

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.