The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
marc_wrates

Copying tables between databases

marc_wrates

Is there anyway to copy a table from one database into another?

I am currently in the process of updating the company database which was created aprox 10 years ago by somebody with little to no database experience. At the moment the tables are held across around 12 different files but I am hoping to combine them into one database to cut out the amount of duplication we have at present. Being very new to filemaker though I am unsure how if at all possible it is to copy a table into a new database.

thanks in advance

Molson
Is there anyway to copy a table from one database into another?

Hi Marc,

With FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced, you can copy tables from one file to another. In Manage Database dialog > select Tables > click the Table you want to copy, click Paste. Open other file > Manage Database > Tables > Paste.

If the files are pre-7, you will either need to convert them to .fp7 format or -- my preferred method -- export records as a merge file, then import the file creating a new table. This can be done in either FMP or FMPA 9.

On import of the table, all fields are set to Text type. You may need to change type and add options. I prefer the import method of creating tables for old files, rather conversion of .fp5, because import doesn't bring *extraneous* issues (such as lookups, etc.) that can cause problems later. For some reason once a field has an auto enter lookup option applied, it never seems to forget it.

I usually just export data fields and key fields and not any calcs or summaries. I find it best to build these anew in 9 as there is often a *lot* of unnecessary calcs in pre-7 versions.

HTH,

Michele

AHunter3

You can go to File menu, Import records, [select external file], specify table within the external file, then on that screen instead of importing INTO your existing fields, you have the option of creating a new table. Do that and fields with the same names and field types as the source table will be created in your current file, and the records themselves brought over.

If relationships are involved, though, you'll have to manually repoint them. And just changing the relationship won't fix all the individual references to individual fields: for example a Set Field script step that formerly referenced the field Clients::Client Name in an external file Clients.fp7 may now be aimed at Clients::ZipCode once you switch the relationship to the new internal table Clients that you created via import. So you have to go through all your scripts and layouts and value lists and fix everything.

Sometimes it's easier to start off with a blank new file and rebuild from scratch.

marc_wrates

thanks both of you, seems to have solved my problem.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.