Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Updating related field after addition to portal

Inkling

I'd like to maintain a location history for each object in our museum collection. I have an object table and I created a related table called location history, which shows the object's previous locations in a portal in a pop-up window. The portal is sorted to that the most recent location is at the top.

I also want to display the most recent location on the object layout. I thought I could do this by placing the related location field on the object layout, assuming that it would update when I added a new location record to the portal. It doesn't.

I'm a bit baffled as I thought a single related field on a parent layout would show the newest record from the related table. But it doesn't change when I add a new location.

Am I mistaken? Or is there just a much better way to do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

I thought a single related field on a parent layout would show the newest record from the related table.

Nope. Oldest.

To get newest you can sort the RELATIONSHIP or you can put the field in a one-row portal and sort the PORTAL.

Thank you AHunter3, for solving my problem. I used the sort relationship method.

I really appreciate your help. If I didn't have this forum I wouldn't know where to turn to!

Important Information

Terms of Use