The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
hugh71158

Mac to PC - Why is it soooo different?

Josh Ormond
I mostly figure that people using Windows are accustomed to mediocrity anyhow. Just do the best you can to minimize (hmm maybe not the best choice of words...) to ameliorate the worst of it.

I wish there was a defense for that. But I fear it is much too accurate. smiley-surprised

That is where competition is the key to advancement. The shear success of Mac over the past few years, and the possibility of a Google OS...will force the entire industry to get better. Or Google will buy them all!!!Harry Thinking!

Microsoft's dominance pushed Mac to develop an awesome product...Mac's success in a philosophically different approach to computing, pushed MS to finally adjust somewhat to the consumer demand. All of this spurning the guys at Google to produce a simple, fast (at least rumored) OS of their own. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the car industry...all the same parts/ideas/technology, branded for a different companies.

Jack Rodgers

Well, on Windows you have a lot of cheap monitors and you have some really ancient ones and sometimes if you see the results of your extreme efforts, you'll wonder why?

If you are just working for yourself on your own computer, you can do as you like. If you are working as a developer for a client with a mixture of computers and monitors you'll get complaints. And when they try to print your nice reports you'll get other complaints.

Windows is a free for all OS while Apple controls its own fairly well.

Windows uses rectangular pixels and Mac use square ones.

After you've spent a dozen hours establishing your perfect layout you'll find your client doesn't have that font...

Best thing to do is to create a unique layout for your client on their machines using their fonts and so on...

AHunter3

Windows does WHAT? RECTANGULAR PIXELS? Windows uses rectangular pixels? What the....?!???

Are you sure you're not confusing Windows with Lisa OS or something? Yeesh, that would vastly change the aspect ratios of anything. Unless, I guess, FileMaker tried to compensate somehow, but.... seriously?

Maarten Witberg

From this online article I understand the VGA standard in PC environment has square pixels since 1987. So whatever the differences, that's not it.

Josh Ormond

By default, windows renders at 96 dpi...Mac uses the standard 72 dpi.

It's a strange debate. I don't totally understand the decision by Microsoft to default at 96 dpi...when everyone else uses 72 dpi. You can change it, but you have to know where to find it.

That is part of the reason it is so hard to get things to render the same.

Maarten Witberg

I'm not sure that's true either. My macbook has 1920 pixels width. With a tape measure I estimate the effective width is 14,45 inch. So it seems to be 133 pixels to the inch. Anyway you have multiple scan monitors these days so I'm not sure there even is a default rendering value. Unless I misunderstand the concept.

AHunter3

No, I know what he means by that.

Macintosh used 72 dots per REAL inch when their monitors were 72 dpi monitors. Those days are long gone, but in a WYSIWYG world, "things" have inches (for example when printed) even if the "inch" displayed on the screen is now dependent on screen resolution which may be vary according to the settings used, etc; and in that somewhat convoluted but still-relevant sense, MacOS is indeed 72 dots per "inch".

Windows is not.

Jack Rodgers

Try this:

create a blank layout and drag a small square or rectangle on it. Use the Info box and select inches. type in 10 at the bottom for the height of the box. Now it is 10 by something. Now click on the inches to change it to pixels. Hmm, what is that number?

It should be the same on Macs and Windows.

And 12 point fonts should print 12 points regardless of their apparent size on screen or platform. However, some fonts are larger or smaller than other fonts at the same point size.

The more pixels your monitor shows the smaller will be the apparent size of this box on your monitor. You can change magnification to make it larger or smaller.

However, if you PRINT it, it will be 10 inches high regardless of your printers dpi, 300, 600, 1200 or 2400 or more.

cjcj01

Maybe the year old laptop that I put it on is crappy. But the text is so "jaggy" looking. Really, it looks terrible to my eyes.

In XP go to Display Properties > Appearance > Effect > Turn on Clear Type font rendering.

See image here: It makes your fonts look nice in Windows.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.