Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Calc Formula for totaling different types

randyB911

Hi -

I am trying to write a calc formula(s) to total the number of hours an employee logs in different categories of training. They are required to have a minimum of 4 hours in one category and 2 in another, etc.etc. How Can I total the number of hours in a repeating field and show the results.

I have a repeating field of (20) with Training Hour Types of: Workshops, Quality/Assurance, Planning/Management, NAEMD, Teaching, etc.

I want to be able to display the total number of hours logged in each category/type.

Thanks in advance,

randyB911

Hi -

I have a repeating field of (20) with Training Hour Types of: Workshops, Quality/Assurance, Planning/Management, NAEMD, Teaching, etc.

I want to be able to display the total number of hours logged in each category/type.

Thanks in advance,

randyB911

I might think about changing that repeating-field into a popup-menu entry item rather than a repeating-field, I've seen folks get their heads bit-off for using 'repeating-fields' around here...

Anyway... once transformed into a popup menu item (if feasibile) then it sounds like a simple sort(customOrder) on your (perhaps new) 'category/type' sortCategory field, you could incorporate it into a script

-List layouts and summary parts

I guess I should have mentioned that I do have a popup menu with the various types of training categories that are tracked.

I need to be able to write a formula that is something similar to: if the type = "teaching", total the number of hours that are categorized as "teaching". same for each of the various "types".

I guess I should have mentioned that I do have a popup menu with the various types of training categories that are tracked.

I need to be able to write a formula that is something similar to: if the type = "teaching", total the number of hours that are categorized as "teaching". same for each of the various "types".

Tiz good that you have this category as a popup menu, FM6 can produce a simple-sort by this, and by any custom-order you set for each of the categories in the valueList which makes up the pop-up(the order you enter them)

If you don't have nothin' similar at the moment, go to Layout-mode and create a new listLayout to include all the fields you want referenced or info

displayed about, even in very short reports [such as the number of this, and the number of that]... it can be a sharp idea to provide more reference data than required

Do a find of the records(chunks-of-time) that you want included(other criteria?), and do a sort in your new-fangled list layout-format, and switch-to-preview for your wonderful new report, what you see ain't always what you get in FM6 and it might be worth printing the result

Just remember to create a summary-field(new if you don't got one) based on the calculation = timeField, and stick it into your new summary-part on the list layout

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.