Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

enter data from a value list if no data entered in field

hal9000

I am writing a testcase management system in FM9 and one of the many things i cant' work out right now is this:

I have a Field which contains data from a value list which itself has Passed. Failed, Void & Not Run.

I have worked out how to make a button that not only prints to a history field the date, time, user, result, and some other details but also sets a field for each item including the results for a overall view of test process.

I would like to however have the results field say 'Not Run' if the test doesn't have any result recorded against it.

In other words i want to get that value 'Not Run' from the value list (or somewhere else) as the default entry for that field.

i hope this makes sense

Hi Hal,

To set a default value for a field, go into the Manage Database dialog, navigate to the fields tab and select the field, then click the "Options..." button at the lower right of the dialog. In the Options for Field dialog, navigate to the Ato-Enter tab, select the checkbox labeled "Data" and enter the default value (Not Run) into the adjacent text box. Then click the OK buttons to dismiss the Options for Field and Manage Database dialogs.

Any new records you subsequently create will acquire the default value you have specified for the field in question. ;)

amazing and sooo simple!

Thanks

also do you know of any good references for a newbie on scripting.

What i really want is not a guide on what does what, as everything seems to be. I can't learn very easily this way! I need real world examples - it all sinks in better.

I have look at some of the lynda stuff and that works well and have bought 'using filemaker 9' by jesse feiler which is pretty sizeable but havent got the time to read it yet.

anyways thanks for that above hint. it was useful in other ways as well. smiley-smile

...also do you know of any good references for a newbie on scripting.

What i really want is not a guide on what does what, as everything seems to be. I can't learn very easily this way! I need real world examples - it all sinks in better...

Funny you should ask, because as it happens, I spent a huge chunk of the last year writing content for a book that does pretty much what you are suggesting. In fact, the book has just become available from Amazon within the last few days (I was planning to post a note about it elsewhere on the forum later today). If you're interested you'll find the details here: Amazon: FileMaker Pro 9 Bible.

The book, among other things, works through the example of creation of a basic inventory (including ordering and invoicing) solution. This begins in Chapter 5 with the creation of the initial file from scratch and plots a number of aspects of its development and refinement through subsequent chapters. Copies of the example file "in progress" from the end of each chapter are made available to readers, so you get to see hands-on how the different techniques work and compare to your own work.

From what you've said about the way you learn best, it sounds like you might find this new book worth a try. smiley-smile

OMG - that's soo cool and weird!

I have just ordered it, but did via the uk amazon which is where I live. It's not out till april the 2nd according to them but i can cope with that.

Thanks for your hard work!

hal smiley_cool

OMG - that's soo cool and weird!

I have just ordered it, but did via the uk amazon which is where I live. It's not out till april the 2nd according to them but i can cope with that.

Hi Hal,

So funny that you'd already just placed an order!

I am guessing that the release date they're showing on UK Amazon reflects the additional shipping time to get the book across the Atlantic. However Amazon US originally had 24th March as their projected in-stock date, but they posted the book as available for shipping ten days sooner than that - so the UK date may also be conservative.

Thanks for your hard work!

hal smiley_cool

You're very welcome. I hope you'll find it worthwhile. smiley-smile

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.