rcharamella

Checkbox to act like Radio button

rcharamella

Hi all,

Newbie question here.

I've been handed a filemaker project at work. One of the things they want me to do is have some checkboxes for Yes and No. But instead of one, they want one for each (they are trying to emulate a paper form). I suggested Radio Buttons, but they said No because it doesn't look like what's on paper. So, I need to make Checkboxes act like Radio buttons. How can I do this?

TIA

mfif

Make the field a button that runs a script that unchecks one if the other is checked.

I *think* this should be automatic if the field is a number field (rather than a text field). In this case, Yes / No correspond to 1 and 0. But don't take my exhausted word for it...

sbg2

If I understand the original question - you are looking for a group of checkboxes where a maximum of 1 option can be chosen at any given time? If so, be aware that users can select more than one checkbox as well as radio button(!) by holding down the shift key. I was very suprised when I found out radio buttons were setup this way in FMP. Below is how I limit my lists to a maximum of 1 entry.

Use an Auto Enter Calculation (with Do Not Replace unchecked) defined as: RightValues(MyYesNoField; 1)

P.S. IMO you are correct that it should be a Radio Button and not a checkbox.

sbg2

Forgot to mention users can also select more than one dropdown menu item by holding down the shift key which I think is dangerous.

nihantanu

Use Auto-Enter Calculation Field and Give this Expression GetValue (Self ;ValueCount ( Self ) )

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.