HBMarlowe

Quotation marks in custom dialog

HBMarlowe

I know i've seen this before, but I can't find it today.

How can I include quotation marks in a custom dialog?

eg. No records match "search term."

Thanks!

AHunter3

Method a) backslash directly before the quotation mark.

Show Custom Dialog ["Did you remember to click the \"OK\" button?"]

Method b) set a variable to what FileMaker reconciles as a quotation mark*, then use that variable whenever you want a literal quotation mark. Some folks find this to be less annoying to work with when you've got extensive quotation-mark flinging that you have to attend to, because you can more readily distinguish at a glance the literal quotation-marks from the ones that demarc the beginning and ending of literal text:

Show Custom Dialog [Let (Qmk = \;

"The item "&Qmk&"Harlequin"&Qmk&" currently has a paid status of "&Qmk&"Table::PaidStatus&Qmk &". "&Qmk&Table::PaidStatus&Qmk&" items cannot be shipped "&Qmk&"standard"&Qmk&", only "&Qmk&"COD"&Qmk&"."

)]

Method c) Not as useful as it was in the FileMaker 3-6 era before Set Variable[] and Let(), but still viable, you can define a global text field and stick a " in it and then reference the field any time you want a literal quotation mark. This technique also works with Tab, by the way, for which we don't so readily have a simple symbol, in case you ever need to assemble text-rulered tab-stopped textstrings.

--------------

* a Backslash, again, works fine, as per the example above, for modern-era FileMaker. Four quotation marks in a row also works (""""), and is backwards-compatible to much older versions of FileMaker, for the benefit of any FmPro 6-and-below users reading along.

HBMarlowe

Thank you, AHunter3. As always, I appreciate your willingness to help.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.