The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
ItsMe

multiple portal printing

ItsMe

Hi,

I have a page with multiple portals on it (events, comments, and drug administrations). I want to create a report that prints all of all of them. Preferably with them all combined and in sequential order. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Me

ItsMe

I have thought about joining all the tables into one. (i.e. have all the fields in one table and just flag what type of thing it is: drug, comment, event). This would make it easy to do what I want but I'm not sure if that's the best way...

What are people's views on this??

AHunter3

Joining all the PORTAL (not the PARENT) tables into one does indeed make sense given your desire to print them this way. There's no easy elegant way to do it otherwise.

ItsMe

Ok - that makes the reporting a breeze but how do I seperate the portals out on the other layout?

ItsMe

Sorry - got it. I just made copies of things and added a condition that the "type" field matched a global in the main one. Is there a better way?

AHunter3

Nope, that's how I'd do it.

MrsKCookie
Joining all the PORTAL (not the PARENT) tables into one does indeed make sense given your desire to print them this way. There's no easy elegant way to do it otherwise.

i know this is an old thread but i am facing a similar dilemma. i have a layout with several portals that i would like to combine/export/import into one place with all of the data grouped together. the portals all have the same data (15 fields) but pulled from several related tables/files. when i export to Excel, i get a ton of columns. how do i group these together such that i get the required data into 15 columns instead of 150?

AHunter3

You're pretty much going to have to concatenate your multiple tables/files into one master 15-field table, either in your solution itself or outside of it working with your exports. If getting rid of your sprawl of files is not a realistic possibility, export first to a FileMaker (instead of Excel) format export file then open it and write a script that collects the data from the ton of columns and writes the data out to 15 fields instead. Then when you've run it, export the result to Excel.

MrsKCookie

is there a way to export multiple portals at once or do I need to export from each file individually?

AHunter3

I don't know your relationship structure or the resulting data structure. You're on a record on the layout that has the portals on it. Does each such local record have multiple records in each of the various related portal tables? Assuming that it does, you can export once, from this layout/table, specifying the inclusion of the related-table (portal-table, that is) fields in your export order.

Note that you will end up with an exported file that will have the local field values only in the records corresponding to the first portal record; subsequent portal records will appear below that but the local-field values will not be repeated. That can work in your favor. What you want to do within the exported file is write a script that loops; each time if hits a new (non-empty) value from the local table (of a field that isn't ever actually empty, such as your primary key field), it kicks off an inner loop that methodically loops first through the fields of portal one, then through the fields of portal two, and so on, harvesting the data, and when done writes out ALL the values as separate records that include the local table primary key and the various redundant fields from the various redundant portal tables. (This writeout should be to an entirely new table that you create for this purpose). After the writeout, the inner loop exits and the outer loop continues with the next record that has a local table primary key and keeps going until end of the exported table.

Then you export from the final table to Excel.

MrsKCookie

So, I exported the contents of the portals (which exported everything rather than what the portal filtering eliminates - sigh). I had my script started and it was working nicely to copy/paste the data from several sets of data to one set for exporting to Excel. Foolishly, I was trying to play with exporting only the current content of the portals and erased all my hard work on the export file. this is something I need to do each month. Can I do what I want from within the multi-portal layout with just the filtered data?

AHunter3

a) If your script involved copy or paste, you're doing it wrong. There is no need to copy or paste unless you are moving data OUT OF FileMaker to use in some other application, or accept data that's already on the clipboard from some other program to do something with in FileMaker. Always use Set Variable or Set Field to move data around in FileMaker.

b) I did not realize this was a recurrent task. If it is, you have even more reason to try to get rid of the sprawl of files and tables and concatenate it all permanently. If, on the other hand, you can't do that, you should keep the finished product that you create in the modified export file and set it up to be able to import from the monthly exports and process them there at the click of a button. And rename the file that you keep so there's less likelihood of overwriting it in any subsequent exports. You certainly don't want to have to reinvent your script once a month! As far as portal filtering, yeah, it's a very limited technique and doesn't affect what is or is not truly related data. You're better off making entirely new relationships that actually constrain the related table records the same way that your portal filter limits what you see in the portals.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.