Sign in to follow this  
Sunshein

Is FM 8.5 compatible with Leopard?

tonysyl

I kind of look at a relationship with Apple and Filemaker as one of being

married to a really fat and ugly lady that treats you like #@&* but has a really good divorce lawer as a best friend. You cant live with her and you cant live without her.

t

Jack Rodgers

Here's a growing list of applications with incompatibility problems with Leopard.

http://www.macintouch.com/leopard/compat.html

I am sure everyone who leaped to upgrade is experiencing the same problems as those Filemaker users who leaped to Leopard. And there are many bitter, sad and angry folks who after doing so ran into problems while those who are experienced in upgrades wait until their cries and accusations die down indicating updates are now working.

A child has to fall down several times before understanding gravity or stub his toe several times to understand pain. An adult who wakes up at night and wanders through the living room stubbing his toe has no one to blame but himself although that admission might never occur.

clally

Oh, and I still think they should support 8.5 to run on Leopard...

Looks like you're getting your wish - someone is listening (fortunately!)smiley-surprised

See Filemaker Knowledge Base Answer ID 6703:

"......We have completed limited testing of FileMaker Pro 8.5 running on Leopard and have found some key issues:

Region/language issue: On Leopard, each language version of FileMaker Pro 8.5 works only when the Mac OS System Preference "International Formats Region" is set to a specific region. For example, the English language version of FileMaker works only when the region is United States. It does not work when the region is United Kingdom, or Australia, or France, or any other region.

Save to Excel and Export to Excel cause FileMaker Pro 8.5 to hang.

The Instant Web Publishing (IWP) feature does not work.

...We plan to provide a software patch to fix the first two issues (see full article) in FileMaker Pro 8.5 and FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced. This patch should be available as a download in December 2007. For timely news on the availability of this patch, please subscribe to FileMaker News,..."

Christmas is coming! smiley_cool

Tacitus
Oh, and I still think they should support 8.5 to run on Leopard...

Looks like you're getting your wish - someone is listening (fortunately!)smiley-surprised

The Instant Web Publishing (IWP) feature does not work.

Christmas is coming! smiley_cool

Yes good news!! A bit grudging, but they are at least listening. Frankly I think they should fix the lot considering 8.5 is only 12 months old and they've had developer builds of Leopard for not much less than that.

Still, I can live without IWP so I must be thankful for small mercies...smiley-smile

Jack Rodgers

2% Happens! That's what I tell someone during a Texas Hold'em game and they start screaming when I rivered the one card that would beat them. That is if they can hear me through all of their screaming and whinning.

People should spend a little more time acquiring information the potential disasters that await them and how to avoid/protect. Instead they rush in where others fear to tread and suffer disaster, lose money and maybe even lose their business or jobs. Then they start screaming and whining (to borrow a phrase) and blame everyone but themselves.

How foolish can we be? I remember a post years ago by someone who said something like "I did this and it trashed my drive. Will some one try it and let me know what happened?" Eight people reported that it trashed their drive. I decided to not report my results... Oh No!

Jack Rodgers
Yes good news!! A bit grudging, but they are at least listening. Frankly I think they should fix the lot considering 8.5 is only 12 months old and they've had developer builds of Leopard for not much less than that.

Still, I can live without IWP so I must be thankful for small mercies...smiley-smile

A question from the business side of software: OK, you just spent a sum of money for the new Leopard rendering our software a big buggy. How much are you willing to pay for the update? After all, we have issued numerous updates for the OS we specified.

After all, how many of us would be interested in working for our employer for nothing if we were asked to because we have received payment in the past?

Josh Ormond
It is not financially feasible for any company to provide unlimited fixuppers for all the software they have ever created on every operating system that users might have. If it runs on the systems just shipped when it shipped, that's fine. But to expect a 5 year old application to run on operating systems 3 generations later is a sign of inexperience. To expect a company to be able to finance such bug fixes for a small number of users, is also unrealistic. If they don't want to spend the money to upgrade, they can continue to use their existing software...it's that simple.

Sound reasoning, at least for the most part. Products can only be supported for so long, that is the nature of business. Anything to the contrary would hinder technological progress anyhow.

A small number of users? I will assume you are referring to FMP6 or earlier ("...a 5 year old application...") and leave this one alone.

It would be more better if software companies simply stated that when a new OS arrives, they will ship a new version of their product but not upgrade the old to work on it. In fact, their products should be keyed to OS versions and not work on newer OS versions. This would protect the newbies who run into problems by upgrading in a hurry by preventing them from doing this.

In other words there is no financial incentive to provide unlimited free upgrades that are quite costly to create.

I do this in my database, "This script will not run on versions earlier than 8.5. If you need to use it, please upgrade."

Filemaker should do something similar.

To summarize, the one who rushes to install the newest OS or the newest software version is the one who does the bleeding and crying. Experienced users know this and wait until all the weeping and wailing dies down before upgrading.

Interesting thought. Exactly who would it be "better" for? It sounds like you were getting a little emotional from the frustration you are feeling. Which I think we all feel at times.

But uneducated whiners aside, what benefit would this approach have to the rest of the consumers that may require an upgrade in OS for legitimate reason...for security, transfer to new hardware (where the old OS in not available), necessary features of new OS to grow their business, etc...but just paid $300+ for FMP and several licenses or significantly more (like a custom FM solution) within the last year, that should accomodate them for the next 5 years. Not that they should expect support from the software vendor for 5 years, but also shouldn't have to worry that an unforeseen, necessary upgrade in OS next year will force a costly upgrade. Whether of not they upgraded the OS on day 1 or day 365.

This idea would only make Apple and FMI appear even less concerned about such problems as this topic has addressed.

While the principle ideas you have presented are logical and I agree with most of them...blanket sweeps to eliminate uncontrolled whining by a few individuals and causing undue hardship on everyone isn't.

Jack Rodgers
Interesting thought. Exactly who would it be "better" for? It sounds like you were getting a little emotional from the frustration you are feeling. Which I think we all feel at times.

How you can read emotionalism into a sentence is difficult to understand. But I have encountered numerous instances where people read into a sentence feelings from their own previous life.

But uneducated whiners aside, what benefit would this approach have to the rest of the consumers that may require an upgrade in OS for legitimate reason...for security, transfer to new hardware (where the old OS in not available), necessary features of new OS to grow their business, etc...but just paid $300+ for FMP and several licenses or significantly more (like a custom FM solution) within the last year, that should accomodate them for the next 5 years. Not that they should expect support from the software vendor for 5 years, but also shouldn't have to worry that an unforeseen, necessary upgrade in OS next year will force a costly upgrade. Whether of not they upgraded the OS on day 1 or day 365.

This idea would only make Apple and FMI appear even less concerned about such problems as this topic has addressed.

Neither company nor any other software company is interested in making out of date software compatible with a new OS, especially after a fixed period of time perhaps the existing version's last update. I have never in 20 years of consulting seen any software company totally update its entire line to work on the latest OS. If you are going to spend money on new hardware, new OS, etc. why should they not expect you to upgrade their software to the version that works on your new equipment?

While the principle ideas you have presented are logical and I agree with most of them...blanket sweeps to eliminate uncontrolled whining by a few individuals and causing undue hardship on everyone isn't.

Self-Induced hardships are no one's responsibility but the person who caused them. If one upgrades software or hardware that then makes the existing software less than reliable, that is not the responsibility of the software house. Fixing bugs found when running on the certified OS and hardware is their responsibility.

Even educated, experienced and informed people who operate in a logical manner, such as myself, have a difficult time in resisting the urge to instantly upgraded to the latest OS and the latest MacBook Pro...smiley-tongue-out

I would never label a newcomer a whiner for complaining about an unexpected problem but I would spend time trying to help them understand and perhaps resolve their problem for indeed it is a real problem. And hope that someone else reading the thread would avoid a similar problem.

Josh Ormond
How you can read emotionalism into a sentence is difficult to understand. But I have encountered numerous instances where people read into a sentence feelings from their own previous life.

Wasn't really reading emotion into your sentence. I was looking more at the severity of the suggestion you made. You've got to admit, not making any previous versions compatible is a little extreme. I agree with you completely on the older versions, up to an including even 7.x possibly 8.0. My comments were focused more on the impact on 8.5 users. I know for our company, we purchased 8.5 roughly 2-3 months before they released 9.0, at the assurance of a FM rep that a new version wasn't going to be out for another year or so. If we had to upgrade now because our parent company bought all new Mac's for our department, that would be bad. Although, we would never upgrade so early after a release of an OS without thorough research and testing.

Neither company nor any other software company is interested in making out of date software compatible with a new OS, especially after a fixed period of time perhaps the existing version's last update. I have never in 20 years of consulting seen any software company totally update its entire line to work on the latest OS. If you are going to spend money on new hardware, new OS, etc. why should they not expect you to upgrade their software to the version that works on your new equipment?

Agreed... With my comments directed with 8.5 in mind, the differences between 8.5 and 9.0 aren't worth the cost for most 8.5 users. At least that is my opinion here in my own little world. Others probably feel differently.

Self-Induced hardships are no one's responsibility but the person who caused them. If one upgrades software or hardware that then makes the existing software less than reliable, that is not the responsibility of the software house. Fixing bugs found when running on the certified OS and hardware is their responsibility.

I definitely agree with you. However, there does need to be at least some level of loyalty to the consumer. That is what makes people loyal to the product, knowing and trusting that the company can help in some way for when big changes are necessary. It would be like automobile companies rolling out a new model every year and only manufacturing replacement parts for 6 months and offering no repairs thereafter. Forcing you to buy a new car, even though all you need are brake pads. Obviously, software doesn't have the durability factor of an automobile, but the principle still applies. Again, not every FM product, but 8.5. It was the FM mission and support that brought us to FM in the first place. Going with FM over Access, which all of our computers already have.

Even educated, experienced and informed people who operate in a logical manner, such as myself, have a difficult time in resisting the urge to instantly upgraded to the latest OS and the latest MacBook Pro...

I would never label a newcomer a whiner for complaining about an unexpected problem but I would spend time trying to help them understand and perhaps resolve their problem for indeed it is a real problem. And hope that someone else reading the thread would avoid a similar problem.

Well said. I know what you meant. You and all the other FM veterans are a life-saver to the FM world. Providing insight and wisdom that have helped complete some stunning solutions.

Jack Rodgers
Well said. I know what you meant. You and all the other FM veterans are a life-saver to the FM world. Providing insight and wisdom that have helped complete some stunning solutions.

Aw shucks!...

Dackj

I used to keep all my databases on my .Mac iDisk so I could access them from the office or at home. Since upgrading to Leopard (10.5.1) I can no longer access these files without first copying them to my local drive. The trial version 9 did not resolve the issue. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Ender
I used to keep all my databases on my .Mac iDisk so I could access them from the office or at home.

This is not an appropriate method for accessing FileMaker files. You should only access files that are stored on a local drive, or hosted on another machine running FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server.

Jack Rodgers

Well, by now everyone should know that Filemaker has released 8.5 v2 which resolves some of the Leopard conflicts for some of the people but not all of the people all of the time.

I caved and installed Leopard, no, I shut down a process that crunched some extensions that created kernel panics unless I booted in Safe Mode. Since there are a kijillion extensions and I have no method of determining which to fix, I caved and bought Leopard and kinda like it.

With the Leopard updates and the 8.5 v2 update, things seem to be working OK.

But from what I've read the fix does not address Non-US systems, or something like that.

koka1976

Hi John,

Just wanted to say U R A STAR u save my life smiley-wink

Hi Tony

Open up your Preferences folder and click on International

Select "Formats" from the top menu and change to United States

Open Filemaker and return to the "Formats" and change back to Australian

Apparently this will allow Filemaker to work with Leopard which it is doing presently on may machines as long as you leave Filemaker running.

I have only just done it on my machines at work so I will have to see what happens over the next few days, but if it keeps working until some support is forthcoming I can put up with the inconvienince of changing these two options everytime I restart Filemaker.

Let me know if it works for you

Regards

John

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.