Sign in to follow this  
Sunshein

Is FM 8.5 compatible with Leopard?

Sunshein

According to a Filemaker news release, Filemaker Pro 9 is not compatible with the new Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system to go on sale October 25th. Filemaker, of course owned by Apple, will be releasing updated information around November 19th and hopefully with an update for FM 9.

Using FM 8.5, I hope someone out there will test it with the Leopard OS, and report back to us. Filemaker says at this point that if older versions are not compatible with Leopard, they will not be releasing updates, so those of us who have 8.5 and older versions will not be able to install the Leopard OS or will be forced to buy FM 9.

Sunshein

Here is the release from Filemaker at

http://www.filemaker.com/support/leopard.html

FileMaker announces date for Mac OS X Leopard compatibility update

We are very excited about the release of Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5).

FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced generally run on Leopard although there are two known issues. We are targeting a downloadable update to be available on November 19, 2007, free of charge. Please subscribe to FileMaker News for the latest on update availability.

Here are the known issues with FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced:

The Instant Web Publishing feature does not work.

On Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5), each language version of FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced works only when the Mac OS System Preference "International Formats Region" is set to a specific region. For example, the English language version of FileMaker works only when the region is United States. It does not work when the region is United Kingdom, or Australia, or France, or any other region. Click here for more information.

FileMaker Server 9 and FileMaker Server 9 Advanced currently do not deploy properly on Leopard. We are working on Leopard compatibility updates for FileMaker Server 9 and FileMaker Server 9 Advanced but do not have an estimated availability date at this time. Again, subscribe to FileMaker News for information on updates.

We have not tested earlier (pre-FileMaker 9) versions of FileMaker software on Mac OS X Leopard and do not intend to release updates for earlier versions.

Maarten Witberg

I intend to get 10.5 in a few weeks ( I need bootcamp ). I will report any issues I encounter.

Tacitus

Frankly since 8.5 is little more than 12 months old, I think it's scandalous if they don't support it on Leopard. Methinks someone is getting greedy....

Norma_Snockurs
Frankly since 8.5 is little more than 12 months old, I think it's scandalous if they don't support it on Leopard.

I agree. I have at least one client who will want Leopard rolled out throughout their entire Mac network (particularly for the 10.5 Server features) but who will not be happy about having to shell out for FM Server 9 & multiple FMP 9 licenses when nothing is gained by it except the ability to run under Leopard. smiley-frown (i.e. no further database expansion or mods are planned for the forseeable future.)

It would be nice if FileMaker didn't treat their customers as though they were walking money trees!

Tacitus
......I have at least one client who will want Leopard rolled out throughout their entire Mac network (particularly for the 10.5 Server features) but who will not be happy about having to shell out for FM Server 9 & multiple FMP 9 licenses when nothing is gained by it except the ability to run under Leopard......

I think he will probably be even less happy once he realises the potential security nightmare of a 'trusted' app running as root in order to facilitate the authorisation. Adobe CS3 does the same and I'm not happy with that :-(

Note: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure FMP9 does run as root - one of the reasons I've avoided it. Fortunately I've nothing that *needs* to have it.

Maarten Witberg

Fmp itself does not run as root. What does is a process called FNPlicensingserv, and the filemaker knowledge base has one entry about it here

I did a quick search on google but could not find any references to exploits of this process. If anyone can point me to them, I'd be grateful for this is getting the contours of an urban myth: a bit of it is true, but most of it isn't, and nobody knows the specifics.

fwiw, in the activity monitor, I could not see any process branched off from a CS3 product that runs as root.

Norma_Snockurs
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure FMP9 does run as root.

Hmm. Well it doesn't appear to. Activity Monitor shows no change in the number of root processes running when FMP 9 is launched. The App. itself shows up as a user process. Or were you referring to spawned processes? I can't find any Administrator processes happening there either.

Maarten Witberg

Tim, if you view as hierarchy, you can click the triangle and see the FNPLicensingserv running as root. see my post above yours :)

Tacitus
Fmp itself does not run as root. What does is a process called FNPlicensingserv, and the filemaker knowledge base has one entry about it ...........

I did a quick search on google but could not find any references to exploits of this process. If anyone can point me to them, I'd be grateful for this is getting the contours of an urban myth: a bit of it is true, but most of it isn't, and nobody knows the specifics.

fwiw, in the activity monitor, I could not see any process branched off from a CS3 product that runs as root, either.

Thanks for the heads up. It's not that exploits exist, but the potential for this to be used as an attack vector that concerns me. I can't vouch for FMP9 since I don't have it, but if you 'get info' on CS3 it shows the owner as 'system', which does not strike me as a good idea. FMP8.5 shows the owner as the admin user.

What they seem to be saying is that FMP checks on the local network for additional unlicensed copies, but after activation doesn't send anything back to FileMaker, unless the license conditions are not being fulfilled.

Whilst we're on the topic does the license allow only 1 copy? Or is it one on a desktop and one on a laptop, provided they are not in use at the same time. I think that's how it used to be, but it may have changed.

Oh, and I still think they should support 8.5 to run on Leopard...

Maarten Witberg
CS3 it shows the owner as 'system', which does not strike me as a good idea. FMP8.5 shows the owner as the admin user.

same for fmp 9. interesting point about CS3 (but let's keep this on topic).

I must say I just downloaded the trial to see what this root stuff was about. The license terms installed with the trial are as you stated: one copy on a desktop, one on a laptop, same user, no concurrent usage.

And yes, I am also inclined to think support for 8.5 on leopard would be a friendly gesture to their existing customers. Usually I think well, things get past their sell by date, but 8.5 not that old yet as has been said above.

Norma_Snockurs
Using FM 8.5, I hope someone out there will test it with the Leopard OS, and report back to us.

Talking on Skype to an I.T. savvy friend of mine as he tests his company apps with today's Leopard release. I am informed that 8.5 will not boot under Leopard. It reports an unexpected quit after a spinning beach ball every time a launch is attempted.

I am unable to confirm this myself due to lack of 10.5.

Lets hope we don't get a dose of the same with XP service pack 3 early next year.smiley-undecided

Also, I recall FileMaker releasing a compatibility patch for Vista for 8.5, is it likely that they would have done the same for OS X if Apple had released Leopard on the original schedule as it would have been months ahead of FM 9 then?

if you view as hierarchy, you can click the triangle and see the FNPLicensingserv running as root.

Not running on the machine I've currently got FMP9 trial booted on. This may be for one of two reasons though.

1. It's the trial version of FM 9

2. More likely; I binned FlexNet publisher components on that machine whilst trying to sort out an installation/permission error issue with Photoshop CS3 which never got solved and I gave up on. Curiously this does not seem to have affected FMP9. Go figure.

kadamesli

Guess I will be using mine through the Windows Version Runnning On Parallels Running On Leopard...talk about desperate to have Leopard...

Tacitus
........I recall FileMaker releasing a compatibility patch for Vista for 8.5, is it likely that they would have done the same for OS X if Apple had released Leopard on the original schedule as it would have been months ahead of FM 9 then?........

You're probably right, but FM are clearly regarding Mac users as a cash cow. The right thing to do would be to make 8.5 run on Leopard, considering the release is only some 12 months old. To do otherwise shows a lack of respect for their customers.

Maarten Witberg
Talking on Skype to an I.T. savvy friend of mine as he tests his company apps with today's Leopard release. I am informed that 8.5 will not boot under Leopard. It reports an unexpected quit after a spinning beach ball every time a launch is attempted.

Could you ask your friend if this issue can be resolved by adjusting the format region?

If so, the compatibility issues might be the same as for v9. Which would kindof make sense, but you never know.

Personally I'm going to lean back in my seat and wait for a month maybe two. While early adoption is a hip good thing, it's also tricky on business critical systems. Ah, the wondrous season of technology push is on us again :cool:. Trick or treat anyone?

Michael True brit

I have managed to get FileMaker 8.5 to work with Leopard.

Set Formats in International system preferences to US computer.

You can load a file but Caps is inverted and you need num lock on.

Not very elegant!

We need to persuade FileMaker to:

1. Update FM 8.5 to run with Leopard and for them to offer a very cheap upgrade from early FileMaker versions to 8.5. This still leaves FileMaker to make money with the upgrade to 9.

2. To maintain compatibilty for FM8.5 during the development of Leopard.

Norma_Snockurs
Could you ask your friend if this issue can be resolved by adjusting the format region?

Hi Maarten. Apparently it can. Changing the region to United States in the International system preference pane allows both FMPro & Advanced 8.5 to launch and open files just fine. I have been unable to clarify the position for FM Server however.

Michael True brit

United States Format works better - no need for inverted caps or Num lock

Sunshein

What about IWP, does it work using 8.5? New release states there is a problem with IWP using 9.

Maarten Witberg

Tim, thanks for clearing it up.

If I may make so bold: I don't see any reason to upgrade a filemaker server's system version. That's a true case of don't fix what isn't broken. I got fm server 8 on 10.3.9 and it stays put for as long as I can

hold off the advancing armies :cool:

murrayk

I have installed Leopard on my PowerBook G4.

FM 8.5 advanced will run but cannot load a database and cannot create a database. FM 8.5 advanced quits with no error message but brings up the apple reporting dialog which I have sent to apple five times now.

My system has always been set for United States format, no joy here.

This is a BIG BIG problem and I personally think the Filemaker should fix this now. As a matter of fact why hasn't it been fixed already, I find it hard to believe that Filemaker did not have the beta version of Leopard long ago.

Maarten Witberg
Leopard on my PowerBook G4
could PPC v. Intel based make the difference?

murrayk
I have installed Leopard on my PowerBook G4.

FM 8.5 advanced will run but cannot load a database and cannot create a database. FM 8.5 advanced quits with no error message but brings up the apple reporting dialog which I have sent to apple five times now.

My system has always been set for United States format, no joy here.

This is a BIG BIG problem and I personally think the Filemaker should fix this now. As a matter of fact why hasn't it been fixed already, I find it hard to believe that Filemaker did not have the beta version of Leopard long ago.

I just reinstalled Filemaker Pro 8.5 (I don't have 8.5 advanced with me) and it works fine. I will reinstall 8.5 advanced when I get to work on Monday and see how that goes.

murrayk
I just reinstalled Filemaker Pro 8.5 (I don't have 8.5 advanced with me) and it works fine. I will reinstall 8.5 advanced when I get to work on Monday and see how that goes.

My FileMaker Pro 8.5 advanced now works. I don't know if this is because I installed FileMaker Pro 8.5 or not. I also uninstalled a haxie called Application Enhancer (because I saw a note on the web about a problem with this and Leopard) and when I tried 8.5 advanced after that, it worked.

FYI: Application Enhancer is made by Unsanity and if you think you have any of their products check their compatibility page.

http://www.unsanity.com/products/compatibility

Padpop

Loaded Leopard onto my new iMac this morning and Filemaker 8.5 will not work. Contacted Filemaker in Australia who informed me that 8.5 will not work with Leopard I will have to purchase updates to Version 9 (2 copies) and version 9 will not work until later in November when a patch is created for it.

I changed my system to US computer which allows me to open 8.5 but none of the files can be changed. All this after just spending $5000 to have a filemaker specific program written for my system - NOT HAPPY - Mac users with Filemaker BEWARE

David Head
Mac users with Filemaker BEWARE

Reasonable comment.

But before installing any OS upgrade, check the websites of application manufacturers for any postings about incompatibility with current and previous versions.

If Padpop had done this, he/she would have seen:

FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced generally run on Leopard although there are two known issues. We are targeting a downloadable update to be available on November 19, 2007.

and:

We have not tested earlier (pre-FileMaker 9) versions of FileMaker software on Mac OS X Leopard and do not intend to release updates for earlier versions.

IMHO, FileMaker inc have made all reasonable efforts to warn users about compatibility issues with Leopard.

Do I like the information that there are issues? No, and I don't think FileMaker would be happy either that their brand new version now has issues running on Mac OS X.

Do I like the information that FMI has said they do not intend to release updates for earlier versions? Even less. And I think public opinion may sway that decision.

But, armed with this information, any reasonable person would now not expect FileMaker Pro to work properly under Leopard. I am waiting until at least November 19.

Padpop

On more searching found thhis item on the web....."Adobe has warned that some - but not all - Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications will need software updates before becoming fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.5.

"Adobe and Apple have been collaborating closely for months to ensure that Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications can run smoothly and reliably on Mac OS X Leopard," Adobe explains in a statement.

"We are proud to support this impressive new operating system, and to ensure that our creative customers can take full advantage of the performance and value of using Creative Suite 3 applications and Mac OS X Leopard on Intel-based and PowerPC Macs."

The company warns that Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and the company’s professional video applications, including Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3 Professional, Encore CS3 and Soundbooth CS3 ar not yet Leopard compatible.

"We expect to publish free Leopard compatibility updates for the video applications in December 2007 and for Acrobat 8 Professional and Adobe Reader 8 in January 2008," Adobe said in a statement on its website.

Adobe Photoshop CS3, Flash CS3 Professional, Contribute CS3, Dreamweaver CS3, Fireworks CS3, Flash Player 9, GoLive 9, Illustrator CS3, InCopy CS3, InDesign CS3, Bridge CS3, Version Cue CS3, Device Central CS3 and Acrobat Connect (Start Meeting) are all compatible with Leopard.

The company warns that older versions of its software may not work fully on the new OS, and confirmed it will not introduce any Leopard updates for older versions of its applications."

My question to Apple would be if you own Filemaker or part of then why not spend the time on the issues with Filemaker 8.5 and 9 before the product is launched.

I own some of the software mentioned in the article above and my solution will be....Back to 10.4 and see what happens...PITY

I wonder how many more Mac users around the world who more than likely have shelled out for the new Leopard OS and also run older versions of Adobe and Filemaker software.

The attitude of not supporting some software that is only 6 months old beggars beleif when you consider that OS 9 was supported to some extent from OS X to OS X 10.4.9

Don't get me wrong but I am only a small business man who over the past 12 months has shelled out over $10,000 for new Mac machines software and specifically tailored Filemaker developed software to run my 2 man business, now expected to shell out another wad of money to update again if and when they get it working.

Can't see too many small business people being happy with that situation

But then maybe I'm just a grump

tonysyl

Well Im one of the dumb ones that upgraded to OSX leopard and I can tell you

that filemaker 8.5 doesnot work woth it. All my billing for my company is being held hostage to this. Is there any way I can get Leopard off my computer and go back to the old OSX?

Will that get me back to where I can at least bill my clients for work Ive done.

Ive had it with Filemaker. Im going to find another billing system.

No support from them without getting your credit card out. Always behind the 8 ball with system updates, and now I find out that Apple owns Filemaker.

And they still cant work together. Im thinking something is nuts here.

tony

Maarten Witberg

I think you're better off directing your misgivings towards FMI instead of us. All you can get here is sympathy or told you so's, neither of which will help you.

Perhaps some kind of group effort towards FMI to voice your discomfort with the situation should be considered. I think a clear and civil voiced target (get a service patch for fm 8.5 products on Leopard; get support for 8.5 on leopard for one year) would be a necessity. I am not starting this myself, nor suggesting this site should play any role in this. It is merely a suggestion towards positive action which certainly is better than sitting around moping about money lost or ill-advised upgrades.

tonysyl

Well I just got off the phone with Filemaker and the deal is you are just out of luck with 8.5 or older if you have Leopard. They are not supporting or giving any fixes for it. Word to the wise.

tony

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.