clivemas

Is there someone out there...?

clivemas

Is there someone out there, a FMP expert who has the time and inclination to work with me to develop the skeleton an of accounting solution: General Ledger, Accts Payable, Accts Receivable (No Inventory, at least for the time being)?

I know quite a bit about accounting, however my FM skills are not good enough to develop something decent and usable. I have been doing accounting for mid size to small businesses for 18 years and used most of the accounting software on the market. In my opinion they range from mediocre to bad.

- I am not looking to hire someone. The mutual advantage is that at the end of the project the person will have an additional product he/she can offer to his/her clients.

- I am not looking to develop a stand alone one size fits all complete solution; that would be a mistake. A workable skeleton with the main components will suffice. Since I have already started on it, the amount of work will not be high.

- It would help if the person knows something about accounting software

- The person must be totally honest to complete his/her end of the deal as I have put many hours into it so far.

If there are questions, just ask.

tusifahmad

Hi,

I am filemaker developer. you can contact me. Tusif Ahmad from Pakistan.

Santhosh_D1981

Hi,

I am Santhosh From India I have 3+ experience in FileMaker, I am really interested. contact me through mail.

My Mail ID : santhosh_dharmalingam@yahoo.co.in

Thanks

D.Santhosh

Timinator

Why not just use a Plug-in for integration with QuickBooks? Then you don't have to duplicate the functionality that's already out there. I've worked with both FM Books Connector (http://www.productivecomputing.com) and File Books Link (http://www.filebookslink.com) and they both do the job nicely.

Tim

========================================

http://www.datadesignlabs.com

http://www.timothytrimble.info

Author of, "FileMaker Pro Design & Scripting for Dummies"

Codito Ergo Sum

clivemas

Hi Timinator:

QuickBooks, MYOB, Simply Accounting, etc… are all the same. They are not genuine double-entry self-balancing accounting programs. I have known MYOB, QB, since their early versions and SA when it used to be Bedford (if I remember). I stopped using them 5 years ago. I had clients that I had to stop doing their accounting; I found myself spending hours trying to rebalance their books. When the total in AR module or AP module does not correspond to your balance sheet amounts, there definitely is a problem with the software. Same with simply accounting. 8 months ago an acquaintance asked me to do his accounting for his wholesale business. He was (and probably still is today) using simply accounting. There was a +$30,000 difference between his inventory module and his BS; for a small busniess it’s a lot. I had to decline by saying that I was not familiar with SA.

Their payroll module is even worst. I don’t want even to tell you the discrepancies I used to find in there, all this at no user’s fault at all.

But life still goes on and people still use these packages. Without me, no more of this crap. Like many other things, it is not because a product or idea is popular that it is good. Often times it is quite the opposite.

These packages started the same way: they started by building an invoicing system, then went on to build the "accounting" around it by adding other modules.

Plus, all these programs are "one size fits all" type of software. How can that be when an event management business and a travel agency have widely different business models??? What I see nearly all the time is parallel systems (multiple speadsheets or a database) running along side a QB or MYOB or SA. That tells me that these packages really fit the needs… like your left shoe on your right foot.

Maarten Witberg

so are you still looking for a partner?

midnightgeorge

I have been developing in Filemaker Pro since version 2 and have a number of databases being used by local Napa, CA businesses. Many include accounting layouts. Please let me know if you still need someone. I believe this is a good fit. Before I can bid, I will need to know how much you have done and how complex the system will be.

Thanks

midnightgeorge

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.