courgettelawn

Phantom data

courgettelawn

I use a relational database in Filemaker Pro 7 to document artefacts I am researching for my studies. In two of the related tables, the record displays what seem like blank fields - no data. I can't over-write these fields and when I try and delete the related record they just reappear when the record is re-visited. One table shows four blank fields and the other one blank field. All other fields and tables function perfectly and also in other records. It is just this one that has a problem. Any ideas on how to remove these?

AHunter3

a) Are you on a layout that is native to the table in question, as opposed to looking at fields that are in a portal or standalone fields that are from another table?

b) In layout mode, do the fields show up as fields? What fields are they? Are they calc fields, text fields, or what?

c) In browse mode, are you saying you can't click into those fields and edit them but you can click into other fields on the same layout and edit those?

d) What is the field behavior (⌘-K)? Are the fields set up to allow field entry in Browse Mode?

e) If the fields are in a portal, is the relationship defined to allow record creation in the related table via the relationship? Are the "empty fields" at the bottom of the portal, and if so are they the only field present in that portal row?

courgettelawn

Thanks for responding. I should have made it clear that this phenomenon is only affecting _one_ record. All other records can be edited without problem.

a) Are you on a layout that is native to the table in question, as opposed to looking at fields that are in a portal or standalone fields that are from another table?

I have checked both. The data entry in the portal is appearing without problems in the layout native to said tables.

b) In layout mode, do the fields show up as fields? What fields are they? Are they calc fields, text fields, or what?

The are text fields. One is a value-list which is editable the other is a free-text field in both cases. Here is an example from one of the tables' data entry:

Table: Name

Fields:

Name-type: [simple, contemporary, italian, group] (chosen from drop-down list)

Name: ring, anellus, anello, jewellery (freely entered)

The table is in a one-many relationship (this on the 'many' end) with the central table called Object and the foreign key is Record_ID.

c) In browse mode, are you saying you can't click into those fields and edit them but you can click into other fields on the same layout and edit those?

Yes. As mentioned, this is only affecting a single record. Four blank rows cannot be deleted and I have to add my data to subsequent rows in the portal.

d) What is the field behavior (⌘-K)? Are the fields set up to allow field entry in Browse Mode?

Yes, they have always allowed data entry in Browse Mode.

e) If the fields are in a portal, is the relationship defined to allow record creation in the related table via the relationship? Are the "empty fields" at the bottom of the portal, and if so are they the only field present in that portal row?

The empty fields appear at the top of the portal.

I don't know whether this makes any more sense to you but thanks for taking time to help me understand potential causes of the problem!

AHunter3

It's only happening on one record, it's in a portal, it's the topmost portal record, and the fields are blank, is that correct?

Do this for me: in whatever table the portal goes to, define a calc field, RecID, defined as Get(RecordID). Put that field also in your portal. Go to the record with the phantom portal row. Is there a value for RecID in the phantom portal row, or is that field blank also?

AND: does this record have any valid data showing in portal rows below the phantom record? If not, can you create a couple and report back whether the phantom row remains at the top, disappears, continues to show but now at the bottom of the portal, etc?

AND: go into layout mode again and turn RecID into a button that does a Go To Related Records [show only related, current record only, in a new window, "Related Records", using a layout appropriate for the portal relationship's native table; if that table has an "All Fields" developer's layout use that one]. Back into Browse Mode. Click the RecID field for the phantom portal row. Do you get a "Related Records" window? Does it have a record or is it a 0 found count window? If you do get a window, and there is a record, what data shows up in the fields?

courgettelawn
It's only happening on one record, it's in a portal, it's the topmost portal record, and the fields are blank, is that correct?

***It's actually the four topmost portal records for the fields in this table. I can enter data from the fifth record onwards.

Do this for me: in whatever table the portal goes to, define a calc field, RecID, defined as Get(RecordID). Put that field also in your portal. Go to the record with the phantom portal row. Is there a value for RecID in the phantom portal row, or is that field blank also?

***Blank for the four previously blank entries, complete for the records which I was able to enter.

AND: does this record have any valid data showing in portal rows below the phantom record? If not, can you create a couple and report back whether the phantom row remains at the top, disappears, continues to show but now at the bottom of the portal, etc?

***Yes, see above. From the fifth portal row, data entry is fine and stores fine too. For the other troublesome table it's only the first row that is blank and won't let me enter data. In this table, the second row onwards is fine.

AND: go into layout mode again and turn RecID into a button that does a Go To Related Records [show only related, current record only, in a new window, "Related Records", using a layout appropriate for the portal relationship's native table; if that table has an "All Fields" developer's layout use that one]. Back into Browse Mode. Click the RecID field for the phantom portal row. Do you get a "Related Records" window? Does it have a record or is it a 0 found count window? If you do get a window, and there is a record, what data shows up in the fields?

***Yes I get a window and there are four blank records and then the records in which I had previously entered data are displayed as I click through each record (i.e. from records 5-11. 1-4 display nothing, not even the foreign key that links it to the main table).

Does this give any more clues as to the problem? It seems references to these records exist somewhere in the system but I just can't find them.

Thank you once again for your time and kindness, I really appreciate it.

AHunter3

First, try this: with regards to the relationship that exists between the native table and the portal table? Go into Field Defs and for each of the fields used in the relationship definition that were indexed, go to the Storage tab and turn indexing OFF ("None"); when finished, exit Field Defs OKAYing your changes then go back in and for the fields that were formerly indexed, turn indexing back ON and again OK your way out of Field Defs. That forces a rebuild of the indexes, and a corrupted index can sometimes cause problems.

If that doesn't fix anything, continue:

ARE those blank records displaying a calculated RecID? (if not, you've got big problems)

CAN you manually enter data into the text, number, date, etc fields that are blank when you go to them? If not, exactly what happens when you try? (If the fields are set to allow field entry in Browse Mode but won't do so for these records, OR if making the attempt causes FileMaker to crash, you've got big problems)

courgettelawn
First, try this: with regards to the relationship that exists between the native table and the portal table? Go into Field Defs and for each of the fields used in the relationship definition that were indexed, go to the Storage tab and turn indexing OFF ("None"); when finished, exit Field Defs OKAYing your changes then go back in and for the fields that were formerly indexed, turn indexing back ON and again OK your way out of Field Defs. That forces a rebuild of the indexes, and a corrupted index can sometimes cause problems.

I tried this twice. Once by deleting the four blank records before re-indexing. both times, the blank records in the portal remained.

If that doesn't fix anything, continue:

ARE those blank records displaying a calculated RecID? (if not, you've got big problems)

No, the RecID does not display... I suspect I have big problems... However what I don't understand is why the records below the blank ones display ok and then all subsequent records with data entered in this portal also display and are found ok.

CAN you manually enter data into the text, number, date, etc fields that are blank when you go to them? If not, exactly what happens when you try? (If the fields are set to allow field entry in Browse Mode but won't do so for these records, OR if making the attempt causes FileMaker to crash, you've got big problems)

No, I just cannot type into these (text) fields. Nothing appears when I try. However, I can delete the offending blank related records but they simply re-appear when you move away from the portal. smiley-cry

courgettelawn

I should add that when I try and enter the data in the regular layout for that table (which also shows the blank records and no data in RecID) that the message I get is:

"Before typing, press TAB or click in a field, or choose the New Record menu command."

courgettelawn

SOLVED!

I worked a little harder to find out if broken indexes was the problem. The particular issue with these records was that I had deleted the master record and its related records and then reinstated it with the same unique ID. I suspect this is where something went wrong but it didn't occur to me until now because there had been a gap of time since I had done this and then started work again this week.

I just now removed all indexing from this related table again, and also in the other problem table (there were two offending ones) and then I checked the relationships were still ok. I noticed that these had lost their one-to-many relationships somewhere down the line and the referential integrity was also lost. I re-created these relationships and then re-indexed the relevant fields. The phantom records disappeared the populated fields appeared at the top of the portal and allowed me to edit again.

I can't thank you enough for your help in guiding me. I owe you a pint. smiley-wink

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.