jbaik

Multi-User Question

jbaik

We are running FM Pro 7 on PCs and Macs and we have a database that sits on our network server and not on any particular computer. I keep getting getting an error that says "XX.fp7 is currently in use and cannot be opened ..." when someone has it opened. What settings did I miss that won't let more than one user on the file at the same time? We have licenses for everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on this.

Ted S

Are you attempting to connect to the open database via standard file sharing like you would use to open a Word document on another person's computer or are you using Filemaker's method: File > Open Remote?

jbaik

Our department accesses shared folders on the company network server so we're not actually accessing any particular person's computer. I am a novice about the whole file sharing thing, but I guess I was trying to open it up like a Word doc. I did see in the user's guide about Open Remote, but I didn't understand how to set parameters on the database file to allow for it? Can you help me?

Ted S

Sure, I can help out.

First off, don't share the database file using regular OS sharing. Sharing in this manner is very risky in that the likelyhood of database corruption is greatly increased. I really can't stress enough just how bad this method is if it even works at all.

Filemaker has it's own sharing abilities built in. You should always use Filemaker's native method for sharing the DB and connecting to the shared DB.

Personally, I don't do any peer-to-peer sharing. I run FM Server which does an excellent job of hosting the files but peer-to-peer is fine for sharing with up to 5 systems. With peer-to-peer sharing, one copy of Filemaker Pro will act as the host and the others will connect to it. The Filemaker company recommends that the database file (the .fp7 file) reside on the local drive of the machine that will do the hosting. This means that you should move your file off of the file server where it is right now onto whatever box you decide you want to be the hosting machine. Put it into a folder and don't share the folder with anyone else.

The Filemaker application and database file will need to be open on the host machine whenever any other system needs to access the database. This means that you will want to choose which system will be the host carefully because anytime it is shut down, everybody else is shut down.

The Filemaker company has a knowledge base that addresses many of the questions that new developers and administrators have. Here are a couple of links to articles that address your question directly.

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6095

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6097

Read them over and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to write.

Good luck!

jbaik

Wow, you've answered by question perfectly. Although we probably won't have more than 5 concurrent users, we don't have the option to have a dedicated computer to host. I was beginning to suspect that I needed to get FM Server, but I wasn't sure. Now I am. Thank you so much for your help Ted. smiley-smile

AHunter3

FmServer also needs to run on a dedicated computer, by the way.

jbaik

FM Server can't work on a network server? So does that mean I need to ask our IT department to give us a separate computer that stays on all the time just for FM?

AHunter3

Yes.

As I've told many people, you're better off blowing the dust off some elderly Pentium-II workstation and using that as a dedicated FileMaker Server than using a file server or email server as a non-dedicated FileMaker Server.

It is imperative that file sharing be turned the heck OFF on the computer used as a FileMaker Server. In Windows terms, that means disable the service called "Server". In MacOS X terms, you go to the Sharing PrefsPane and turn off both Windows Sharing and Personal File Sharing.

You also turn off all anti-virus, don't do automated backups of the computer's hard drives (at least not the drive that contains the Filemaker files), turn off volume indexing, don't run any automated processes that defrage or optimize the drives, and so on: essentially keep other processes from reading from or writing to the hard disk as much as possible.

Then you unplug the keyboard and mouse and monitor and put a sign on it that says "Touch me and Die" and you don't use that computer for anything else.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.